Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info on fishing from shore or boat rentals at Lake Castaic in California? I'm going to be in LA in a couple of weeks for a meeting and will have at least one day to do whatever I want and of course I'd hate to be so close to a world class bass fishery without even trying to catch the next world record ;)
Anyone ever fished there and know if it is possible to cast from the shoreline or even maybe rent a boat?

Thanks for any help,

Steve

·
Registered
342 Posts
There is a lagoon that you'll pass that is below the right below the lake that I've caught some big bass out of. You used to be able to park across the road from the lagoon spillway and walk over. I always did best right next to the spillway throwing huge topwater minnows. It is a long flat of rocks right there and sometimes you have to throw your arm off to get a bite but it's worth it when it happens. Occasionally they will be slamming in there but not to often. Castaic itself is nearly impossible to do well at with little experience on the lake unless your trout fishing. Castaic has some monster bass but you'll be hard pressed to find a tougher lake to fish. I won a tournament there when I was seventeen with one fish that weighed 5+, it was the only fish caught that day. I believe it was in late March 1984.:)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Atwood. I saw they lagoon on the map. As long as I get to wet a line I'll be happy :) I make it a point of pride not to come within an hour or so of a famous lake and not at least try to fish it.

Steeve

·
Ohio & California
313 Posts
Another lake to try is Irvine Lake in Orange County. Reports coming from there is that bass are hitting pretty well.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
How about hiring a guide? That would give you the best shot at getting into some fish.:)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
A lot of guys fishing those lakes (monster bass & trout) fish with stuff that we would use for muskies. They stock the foot long rainbows in some of those lakes and the bass go on a feeding spree. The locals often use very big softbaits/swimbaits that are 10" long or better, looking like a trout. There's a good bait shop near Fresno (valley tackle, or something like that) frequented by some western tournament guys. That's where I received some insight on catching the beast bass in California.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I would hire a guide but I'll be really pressed for time so I'm just going to squeeze in some fish catching when I can. Irvine will be a bit of a drive for me since I'm staying NW of LA to begin with and I'm going to try to avoid driving any more than I have to. Maybe next time I visit LA I'll have time to do it right;)

Thanks again,

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts