close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake Barkley

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by jwbakes, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jwbakes

jwbakes guppybuster

I am thinking about going down around the first week of April. Does anyone have any lodging recommendations? What techniques work good down there this time of year? Thanks Guys!

2. Water was pretty brown and high from the rain when we came by Sunday - should be better soon - good luck

3. i'll be there this weekend. i'll let ya know how it goes.

4. jwbakes

jwbakes guppybuster

Thanks fishin4five.

5. We stayed at the Southshores Inn - great place - rental boats are VERY basic 2 man boats - if you are renting from anywhere take a trolling motor with you if you can. I don't think any of the places down there have them. Also, you might want to make reservations soon, that is their prime time and rooms are hard to come by. We talked to 2 places that would only rent us package deals - SouthShore was the 3rd place and they had room only prices. $70.00 per night plus boat slip was 10 per day.

6. jw - barkley fishing was great!

only had 2 and 1/2 days of fishing. first day we fished kentucky out of ky dam village ramp. barkley looked like a mess friday morning before sunrise, the kuttawa ramp was covered with wood. caught lots of fish in the afternoon on jerkbaits, rattle traps and small plastics. biggest was only 3-1 lbs. fished bays on the east side (dodds creek? - i'll check the map tonight). outside edges of brush. decided to hit the mud in barkley the rest of the trip and had much better results. im much more familiar with barkley. launched out of kuttawa (stayed at the days inn at 24 and 62), and didn't run far. the rain and lack of time kept up close to kuttawa. the high water helped. fishing inside and outside edges of the buck brush in the back of small bays with well defined creek channels/ditches. south side of barkley on the lower end. make sure to work well off the brush you can see coming out of the water. caught a lot of fish off the shore. lots of stuff under water. jigs, tubes, brush hogs, and any other large plastics. biggest was 5-8 lbs. lost one in the last hour of the trip that was considerably larger...less than 10 feet from where I caught the 5-8 the day before. made me sick. many 3+ lbers. also caught some nice fish in the clearer bays like Poplar on jerkbaits. i'll post pics soon. my buddy has the digital and he is still down in ky.

goodluck! let me know how you do. we missed and lost many, so there should be some for ya to catch next weekend! back to work for me...