Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ReelAddiction ch.68
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been there? I leave next Saturday for a family/fishing trip. None of us have ever been there, just looking for some pointers. We will be stay up towards Cadiz area, if that helps...

Thanks in advance!
Luke

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got back a couple of weeks ago.3 1/2 days and killed them! 131 bass with 2 pushing 7lbs. Top water in the morning and late in the evening.If theyare not busting a white spinner bait will always work. Drop offs and creek channels 8-18 ft deep. Crank baits or lipless crank baits. If you tell me where you are putting in at I will put you on a honey hole.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've also had good luck with cranks there. We put in at the moundwood ramp (north end). But when cranks don't work I use bass pro shops triple ripple grubs in green pumpkin and salt n pepper color and just drag it on the bottom or against the ledges on a 1/4 jig head. Picked up some nice bass that way.

JONZUN

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
If you get the chance go to Patti's restaurant on Grand Rivers. The 2" porkchops and the clay flowerpot bread are awesome.

http://www.grandrivers.com/links/pattis.htm

I'm headed down on Tuesday for work at our plant in Calvert City. I read yesterday the water temperature in Kentucky Lake is 91 degrees. Don't know where in Kentucky Lake the temp was measured. It's a big lake.

·
ReelAddiction ch.68
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we are staying on the first point southeast side of the 68/80 bridge. The closest ramp, other than private is the state park ramp.... thanks, I greatly appreciate it!!!!

·
"The Widow's Son"
436 Posts
Our fishing group has a Bass Tournament every year on Barkley. We stay at Prizer Point (Mile Marker 55) in Cadiz. The Prizer Point bay is probably one of the best fishing bays on the Lake. Honker and Crooks Creek are 2 other good ones.

If you drink. Just remember that you are in a dry county and your closest refill station will be about 45 min.

·
Have Rod Will Fish
49 Posts
Check out www.kentuckylake.com Look under the FISHING section. There are reports that should give you a better idea of the patterns and baits that will be happening when you are down there. I always fish KY Lake and have never made it over to Barkley. Should have luck with a similar approach. Enjoy.

·
goenfurshen
591 Posts
Donaldson Creek always has fish in it, and it is a short boat ride from where you are. I was there for a week over the 4th. The bite for the big fish was tough, our bigger fish were caught in the back of creeks (not just Donaldson) in the morning and evening. I didn't catch any keepers on the main lake. Spinnerbaits, worms, and they really like Rage Craws in green pumpkin.
If you are not catching fish, keep moving. The bite should have picked up by now, the bass were actually finishing up a late spawn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Devils elbow acess area across the bridge on your left has a small boat ramp great night fishing with spinner baits ,day time fishing cranks also good nice size bay with not much trouble unless you venture out the mouth of the bay if so stay to the far south side !

·
ReelAddiction ch.68
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your information. This is what makes this site what it is. Thanks for the heads up on the beer! Gonna have to stock up when we stop for our last tank of gas. I will post results when I get back next week. Again, thank you all.

·
ReelAddiction ch.68
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sorry guys, have had to catch up on work stuff. Was there from the 18th - 23rd.. Fished a total of 5 hours from the boat. Was able to put a stringer of 13 lbs of LMBass together (4 fish). It is an awsome lake for fishing and cruising around on a Pontooner. The channel is a 1/3 of the lake and comes up to 3' of water the other 2/3's.. Recommended for fishing, not family vacations, with skiing and tubing involved. All in all good trip. Any time able to spend with my entire family is good...

caught all fish on flukes, chartruese and white metalflake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts