close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lake Barkley over the weekend

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by CreekFloater, May 10, 2004.

1. CreekFloater

CreekFloater Have Water, Will Fish

Just returned late last night from weekend at Lake Barkley, chasing them large crappies. Not much luck as rains have raised lake level and discolored quite a bit. The crappies have been so slow that even the locals are talking about the lack of a spring run. Did manage a few bass after trying all the tried and true crappie baits. Managed to get one huge strike Saturday night on a jig and a tube combo. Fought the fish for 12 to 15 minutes before I could net it and get it in the boat. It turned out to be a 28" long carp that weghed in at a hefty 19 lbs, 7 oz. Biggest fish I have ever caught in my life, even though it wasn't what I was trying to catch. I got a couple of pictures and will post them once developed. Stayed at Eddy Creek Marina on northeast side of Lake. Nice folks, decent accomidations.

2. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Hey creekfloater,we were at eddy creek this weekend also. :D Went down thur. morning,came back sun.Stayed at Holiday Hills,loved it.Same here with the crappie.Did manage a several bass.The wife's best was a 2 1/2lb largemouth.I lost one i know was every bit 3lb.Caught a few cats and while exploring come into a great little bluegill hole.Nice big ones,had a good dinner that nite.Surprised me that i was catching drums on spinner baits,never had much to do with them before but they were fun.Caught a couple big ones.

3. Sounds like it was a great time for all. Sooner or later, those crappie will make a run. But it doesn't matter too much, there are so many others to catch anyway. I am thinking of going back in the fall and give it another try.
    Hey Creekfloater, did you check your line after bringing in that 19 pounder?

4. CreekFloater

Hey King.... If you mean did I check it for nicks, abrasions etc so that I don't lose a fish next time, the answer is no. The reason is I spent part of the trip home stripping line off reels. This was the same spool I had on at Dale Hollow just a couple of weeks ago and thought it was time for a change before I get into these central ohio monsters (right......). Or, are you asking if I really had the test line on I thought I did? If not, let me know of what you speak. Be glad to share. CreekFloater

5. What I meant was did you think about line weight after the fact. I know that I use 8 lb test on most everything...and a 19 lb bull carp on 8 lb test would be a very lucky catch. On ultra light, it would have to be close to some record, I think.
    Anyway, sounds like it was great fun and a monkster fish.

6. CreekFloater

PIcked up my pictures last night and because it was soooo dark, my big carp pictures shows up on the negative, but they didnt' print them. Probably because they would have been very dark. I am going to take the negative somewhere else instead of one of these fast food photo shops and see if they can't get me a print, even if it is of poor quality. Just looking at the negative toward the sun was enough to bring a smile to my face and allowed me to relive the fun of playing the big fellow and getting him in the boat. I'll do my best to get the pic's and post them for all. To TheKing, growing up catching river carp and knowing you have to take your time and not horse them in probably served me well as experience in landing the big guy. Not sure about any kind of record, just know it was a surprise when it hit and even more so to manage it to the boat for the pic's and weigh in.