close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ladue or East Branch Crappie?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Paul, May 25, 2004.

1. Paul

Paul

Hey All,

I am looking at taking the boat out over Memorial Weekend for the first time this year. I am looking at either hitting Ladue or East Branch in search of crappie. My heart says go to East Branch because I grew up fishing this lake with my family and I love the scenery there. My mind says go to Ladue because the fishing is usually better there and it is easier to score bait there since EB doesn't really have a bait shop close by (for minnows).

Anyway, please help me decide on where to go. Anyone fished any of these two reservoirs lately? Are the crappie biting? Anyone willing to share hotspots?

Also, has anyone had much luck south of 422 causeway at Ladue? I have always fished north and around the causeway but I am hearing that there is good fishing on the south end. Any good crappie holes anyone can share?

Normally I would ask for your honey holes because I love discovering hot spots on my own. I think it is part of the whole fishing experience. My dad may come out with me this weekend for the the first time in about 15 years so I want to make sure we get some fish.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. If you go to East branch, try near the pump house. You'll do fine there.

I don't know any Ladue spots for crappie, but I'm going there Wednesday and could use some ideas myself. Last time I was there, I fished north and got three bass. None very big. I could use some info on the south end myself.

Good luck!

3. Dingo

Dingo

I like to concentrate south of 422 for walleyes and crappies. I catch most of my big crappies trolling for walleye in and near the creek bed. Get a map of the lake and get an idea of where the creek bed runs between 422 and 44. There are a few good sharp turns that come close to sunken trees. Have done good there. I see quite a few crappies taken below the 422 bridge, but they're normally 1/2 the size of those caught in the creekbeds.

4. Paul

Paul

Thanks for the advice. Anyone know if Ladue requires a lauch permit this year. They used to charge like $40 for the season, but I think they dropped that charge last year.

5. no permit Paul, its a free for all lake now :)

6. Portage Lakes

Portage Lakes OGF Member

I have always felt the south side is better for Crappie. I like the drop offs from the causeway through the islands for Crappie.

PL.........