close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LaDue eyes

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by J-Dubs, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Taking the boat out this weekend and looking for those eyes. Anyone been fishing LaDue lately? Not trying to kill "em, just trying to catch "em.

2. They have been really tough this year. It really depends on the weather, but try the deeper drop offs around the north islands or out by the dam.

3. i went their today and I dont have a non powered boat so I figured Id fish on the sides its all fricken posted cuz akron owns the stupid thing but I fished it anyway I caught a 18 inch pike and my brother caught a nice bass any tips where I can get into some nice bass out their from shore?

4. wow walleyes in ladue?? I never knew that, might have to try it out sometime. hows the boat traffic?? i know its electric only but is it overfished?? because i know of some lakes closer to cleveland are overfished. thanks for the info

5. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I never target Walleye while fishing Ladue, but I've caught some big eyes out of there while Bass fishing. Some weighed up to 6 or 7 lbs. Outside weed edges in 5-8fow. As for being overfished, it never seems real busy out there, especially during the week. I fished out there last Tuesday night and there were only 5 cars in the lot including mine. 1500 acres and electric only means there's always plenty of room to fish!

6. This time of year the fish move out from the weeds and start to suspend. This may sound nuts but you can speed troll the middle parts of the lake in the 15 to 18 foot range.
    Speed troll?????????? Yes I know the lake is an electric only lake. I run both of my electrics and can do about 2.8 to 3.1 max full tilt. I love to run the bandit 200 and 300 series cranks. I love the "firecraw " and the one called "mistake". I try to run the lures in the 8 to 12 foot range. I like to use the lighter line also....... (Mono) 6 to 8 lb tests. You will not catch a ton of fish but you will catch some nicer ones. The fish start from the north and work their way south as August progresses. I usually end up in front of the main boat launch by the end of August by the underwater bridge. You will also catch a ton of white perch doing this. It helps pass the time. If you are catching the white perch you are in the right place. Good luck!

7. wow id really like to troll up some eyes sometime. and far as trolling with an electric motor goes....At pymie ive tried row boat trolling, I got tired pretty quick LOL but did manage an eye on a hot-n-tot!!!

8. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

got a nice pike speed trollin about a month ago down on the south side in the channel.i can get the canoe to really move with the electric...

9. mark

mark

I was told to troll for them at 20ft by the owner of the One Stop Fishing Shop (the place at 44 and Washington right by the LaDue). I tried this the other day with a perch rapala shad rap and ended up with about 20 white perch...they always tend to get doubled hooked and feel like a monster...

Anyway, with the cool front I'm headed out there in the morning. I've got a solo canoe which is good for trolling...we'll see. Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm new to the area and fishing these waters...

10. does anyone eat white perch???I don't know too much about em.

11. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

K, Look at the stockings on LaDue in the 80's and 90's.There had to be 2 million walleye stocked in a 15 year span............Mark

12. was there yesterday pm really windy, didnt get anything.

13. mark

mark

yeah, I was there on Saturday from 5:30am to 11am and caught a lot of fish, but none of them bass or walleyes. caught about a million of those pesty little white perch, a few bluegills and 3 cats (one on a crankbait...strange...)

this was my fifth time out there and I'm stumped...I've tried just about everything and just keeping catching white perch...any tips would be greatly appreciated. overall, I'm probably fishing for walleyes too much there. while I'm sure there are plenty of them, the Ladue's reputation is much more as a bass lake...

14. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

Troll from the bride to the damn, in s turns, with shad raps, blue and black both work great. medium runners, 8-12 feet down. fish are suspended now. once you pass the 1st island on your left (boat house side), drop down to 12-15 feet running shad raps (deep runners), same colors. If you pick up big crappies on the troll, you find big eyes in with them or below them.

Good luck...

15. mark

mark

Thanks a million for the tip...my last two times out I trolled a perch shad rap and caught only a bunch of those white perch. I was running it really deep, though, on the recommendation of the guy at the bait shop. Maybe too deep? Who knows: I will certainly take your color recommendations and it give it a try. Thanks again. (I'm taking my two 14-year-old nephews out there...always a wild time...)

16. iv known la due to be a great lake but i dont own a boat. can you wade for walleye out there at this time of the year? i live in cleveland and i drive to mosquito and wade for them and do rather well, it would be great if i had a shot at doing just as good without all the driving.

17. Rik

Rik "King Fish"

I catch cats quite often on mosquito on shad raps...not on purpose trollin for eyes..

18. snag

snag

pop a top,i,m almost sure ther,s no wading at l-due the shore fishing is really limited also,akron is strict on that stuff,sorry to wade mosquito is the best bet being it,s a state lake..

19. im only familiar with what i see driving over it but what ab the boat ramp area? is that fishable? i just hate to sit 5 feet off the highway, it kinda takes away from the experience ya know. thanks alot snag

20. snag

snag

P TOP,shore fishin by the boat house is ok i,ve seen guys there but it,s not very deep plus the weeds beds are out in front,this time of year it,s best from a boat to get into the deeper areas,thats the best i can come up with, good luck..