close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LaDue 8-17

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JohnBoat, Aug 17, 2004.

1. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

Hit LaDue for the first time today, not knowing where to start, we fished the shoreline to the left of the launch all the way down to a smaller bridge. No hits the entire shoreline, worked our way back up to the launch, fishing the opposite shoreline, nothing. Crossed underneath 44 and fished the steep dropoff with cranks and worms, nothin. Finally connected on a small pike along the shoreline past the bridge. Worked all around this area casting rattletraps, spinnerbaits and other plastics to no avail. Would have liked to fish the 422 bridge pilings but didn;t have enough battery to make it down there and back...any tips for my next trip?

2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Ladue is a tough place to fish in August unless you know where to find some deep structure. It sounds like you launched at the 44 ramp, next time I'd try the other ramp toward the Northern end and hit the dam area or the rip-rap along 422. Early morning and evening you can still find some fish along the shoreline. Stop by the weigh-in on Sunday around 3:00, I guarantee someone will bring in a big bag and they usually share some information with the rest of the competitors.

3. Yea, come to the weigh-in. You can learn a lot, or you could even fish the tourney with us. It's an open and I'm sure there's still spots open. Fishing's been tough everywhere lately. I only managed one dink at Mosquito today, and the person I was fishing with only got one dink too.
    LaDo

4. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

I really would have liked to fish the tourney but I have no livewell in my boat :mad:

5. You can just use a big cooler. That's what a lot of teams, including mine do. Just make sure you change the water frequently.
    LaDo

6. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

I'd like to fish the tourney but I don't have a livewell...

7. Do you have a big cooler?

8. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

Sorry about the double post, yes I do have a big cooler that would work. How do I go about registering?

9. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

It's too late to pre-pay, so you just have to show up at the ramp around 5:45 or 6:00. I think this tourny is $75-$85 if you didn't pre-pay. Tournament starts at 6:30 and goes till 3. We take off from the ramp by the old boat house.

10. buckeye1

buckeye1 fishing wannabe

Hows the ramp at the boathouse to launch? i got my boat in the spring, and a guy at the baitshop told me to launch at 44, because its easier.I want to try that side of ladue. i have a ranger with rear wheel drive. thatnks

11. Buckeye, I can't talk from personal experience because I just put my boat in the back of my truck and carry it to the water, but a lot of rear wheel drive trucks get stuck. The ramp is made out of big, loose gravel so it's tough to get enough traction with just rear wheel drive. If your boat isn't too heavy you might want to back it in a little, then push it off the trailer.
    LaDo

12. I have heard alot about Ladue and have wanted to give it a try. I fish out of a kayak and from the sounds of it you will have a tough time catching fish on the shoreline this time of year. Is there alot of visable deep weedbeds that i could fish? I have the day off tomorrow and was thinking of heading to ladue or mogadore. Mogadore is pretty good for visable structure to fish from a kayak. What do you think would be my best bet tomorrow? and info would be great.

13. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

Buckeye1 I drive a GMC Jimmy and I had no problem launching at 44..didn't even put it in 4wd. The ramp is very shallow however

14. Dingo

Dingo

Probably best at Mogadore from a kayak. Good weeds on Ladue can be found starting staight across from the boathouse (north of 422) on the east shore, then up to the dam area. I fish it from a canoe with an electric motor, working the deeper areas near the creek bed this time of year. Most time spent between 44 and 422, where the creek bed takes some nice bends around flats and structures or the east shore between 422 and the dam. Best to have a depth finder to locate that structure -- quite a bit all around the lake. I have caught quite a few big bass while trolling for walleye near the old creek bed.

15. Just picked up on the post! First - livewells- LARGE coolers work well- but also dont forget about an aerator pump and keep it running from the first fish on- icedowns and "please release me" products are also really needed to reduce post-event mortality rates. As ladobasser also encouraged, frequent water changes will remove toxic waste in the non-recirculating coolers.

Second- where to fish- hmmmm. Go through the website and look back at all the info posted through the years- particularly those this time of year. Topwater and flippn skinny could be the best route with water levels remaining high currently, good weedlines all over the lake- the further back into the river the more defined. Your talkn to a guy who can't catch a fish at lado this year though!!!

www.dobass.com

Third- the ramp- they actually made some awesome improvements back around the start of July and regraded the ramp at the boathouse. It seems to be very good now and most any vehicle can handle it. Use a long rope and stay dry!

Hope to see many new faces Sunday- you will enjoy and learn.

Nip