Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost didn't go fishing last night, but at the last minute I decided to go to the spot where I caught a nice fish the other day.

I decided to throw what had worked the day before. A Smokey Shad X Too. The water had warmed up three degrees to seventy from the day before, I'm guessing from the rain. And visibility was down to about eight inches.

I follwed the same pattern I had used the day before of throwing the lure where the water entered a deep pool and basically letting it drift with a jerk every now and then.

I keep all kinds of info about each fish I catch, and I find it interesting that I've caught some of my biggest fish right around moonrise or moonset. The first fish hit right at moonset.

When I got it to shore and found I had tied my PB smallmouth at 18.5 inches, but this fish was a lot bigger than the either previous 18.5 incher I had caught, so it is now my new official PB smallie.

I continued with this technique and about eleven minutes later I had another fish on. Another pretty lady.

Same story twenty five minutes later. This one was the shortest of the three, but is still a bit longer than it shows in the picture, she slid off the board when I snapped the pic.

These gals were really tuckered out when I released them and I had to help them all out for several minutes.

It was a great night to get out and away from the crowds. I only had the three bites, but I'll take it.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I would say if you are only going to have 3 bites. That is a good 3 bites to have. That third fish is really fat.

·
___upacreek
1,358 Posts
Three pigs!

The water around me isn't really getting cooler, I suppose it will change next week though. In trying to figure out fishing lately I was wondering how photoperiod affects a smallies behavior as opposed to a change in water temperature. Have you ever uncovered anything collecting your fishing data?

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I am fishing the wrong river. Very nice fish. Are you seeing a lot of small shad? All I am seeing are big 5-6 inchers where I go. You might be well north of me too though.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Wow, Delta, those are great smallies. Did any of them spit up any food?

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In trying to figure out fishing lately I was wondering how photoperiod affects a smallies behavior as opposed to a change in water temperature. Have you ever uncovered anything collecting your fishing data?
No actually that's one of the stats I haven't been keeping and hadn't thought about it until OSG mentioned it in one his posts about fall smallies. Looks like I will be adding another field to my spreadsheet, and going back over it day by day. It will give me something to do this winter.

Are you seeing a lot of small shad?
The past two times out, no I have not.

Did any of them spit up any food?
Not that I saw, and I did not see any in their gullets either.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Jeeez D.O. ...... Those are excellent fall fish! Very fat and healthy! Nice job!!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Oh.My.God.
That first fat lady should be the October centerfold for chubby lovers quarterly.
Well done Delta!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Wow Delta, Nice Feesh!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts