close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lack of interest

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by roadman, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Hey Guys,

I've been working too much!!! I cant get fired up about anything fishing or otherwise.

Just don't have the time to do anything.

I won't be setting up the Bass Pro outing or any others for a while. Anybody can do it just get in touch with Mike Listerman a Manager down there and he will help.

I've got 3 grandkids now and I plan to spend all the time I can with them.

You won't see me around here much from now on.

Hope everybody has a great life and hopeto see some of you around!!!

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

say it isn't so super dave.. don't make me come down there and get you out and fish my friend.. :D eagle creek just isn't going to be the same without you doood..

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have noticed alot of peoples interest in fishing has been declining this year......Good luck Dave.

4. Hey Roadman, Good luck in your future endeavors. Enjoy those grandkids too! Jack you couldn't be any closer to the truth. A lot of people's interest in fishing is dwindling away. Myself included...I still love the sport, but its getting harder and harder to find time to get out an go, I'm just hoping that things will get better......TightLines!

5. flathunter

For me anyway the loss in interest has alot to due with the poor fishing I have had t his year..My old spots just did not produce, and I got skunked more times than I caught fish..Plus I am working alot, and you hate to waste what little time off you do have on a unproductive fishing trip..Lets hope things improve next year for everybody!

6. pretty much agree with everone, could count all the times I got out this year on one two hands. Just seems like all I do is work and college. hen the quality of fishing has been downhill for the last few years

7. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

as of right now my intrest is growing everyday, i don't care if i don't catch a flattie this year (which i probably won't) but i always know that the channels will always be biting, i am getting more and more into fishing (with help from a few of you) and i am trying to get my friends into fishing for cats....i may be trying some walleye fishing this winter too

8. Fishin' Coach

Fishin' Coach Wall I ETR

I have Two hobbys that occupy my life... Football and Fishing. I coach HS football, and we average 30-40 hrs a week, practice, films, games, meetings, etc. thats on top of a 40 hr work week. This year we are a perfect 0 and 9 going into our last week. Im frazzled, burnt-out, bent and on the verge of being broken--
    The thought of a walleye thumping at the end of my line or the jumping of a November steelhead is all that gets me through. I have never been in more of a dire need of a wet line in all my life... Please don't loose faith, The fish are still there and good times might be on the next trip.

May your nets be heavy, and your days be bright...

--Coach

9. Best of luck to you Roadman. Always remember that the site is still here so that when you have a change of heart or just need some advice you know where to click in.

My interest in fishing has increased quite a bit over the last few years and I would say a portion of it is due to this site. I hear a lot of good fishing success stories and it gives me new ideas. I used to fish constantly as a youngster but life got in the way as marriage and kids came along. But now I am rediscovering fishing as a great getaway from everything and a great activity for me to enjoy with the boys. So I will continue fishing for quite some time to come. Oh, and some day I might even figure out what I am doing out there.:rolleyes: Because I know it ain't the catching that keeps me coming back or I would have given up long ago.:D

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Jack couldnt have put it any better. was almsot co pletely out of fishing. BUT now i'm a little more fired up, hoping to spread some knowledge to MONSTERKAT & T-MAN. Hopfully I cna get these guys into some fish, we should be able to hit deom channels & carp.

ANYWAYS............ I'm hoping all of us have a better year next year. I for one wont be able to make it through next year if I dont. I think the reason I've been so into bow hunting is due to my lack of catching fish. My twins will be 2 in a couple weeks, have my 4 yr anniversary 2morrow, then my son will be 6 in Jan, so I have alot to keep me busy utside fishing.

11. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

happy aniversary if i don't get to talk to you

12. T-Man

T-Man Outdoors Man

ya mellon happy anniversary!!

13. I generally have the same feelings about not being interested because of the times being skunked this year, along with a couple of upcoming life-changes (can't tell ya'll yet) :) And most of the people I fish with have totally lost interest.

I hate to say this next part, but it adds to the loss. Back home, I turned my mom and dad onto a small pond that had decent bass, gills, crappie, carp, and cats in it. I fished the pond a few times with great success. So did they, and they took it to the extreme. I get calls just about every day about the fish they caught. I'm not sure if they realize it or not, but the pond isn't that big (maybe 1.5 acres at most) and they are catching the same fish over and over -- and if they don't know, I don't have the heart to tell them. They won't fish anywhere else and hearing the stories drives me (and everyone else) crazy! :) Wow -- okay I'll get off my soapbox -- thanks for listening! LOL

Besides work and life, I have also been falling in love with Turkey hunting. I have not frequented this board as much as I like. I've worked so much that I did not even get the boat out this year. I tried at the beginning of the season but the lake was flooded. I will always consider myself to be a die-hard fishing fanatic.

Maybe the loss of interest is the shake-up everyone needs to go out and meet new fishing partners, scout new spots or even switch species of fish that we fish for.

Good luck in the future Roadman and all. I'm sure we'll see just about everyone again once the dreary weather wears and the elbow needs the rust knocked off by wetting some lines. :D

JC

14. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

It has been a tough year for me also, but a good year. I have learned different techniques, and have started catching fish when others are not (finally). I always used to be the guy wondering how the other is catching fish when they're not biting, but I have been trying different presentations until they bite. I had a tough crappie season, then a phenominal bass year. This year has definitely made me a better bass fisherman, and I am looking forward to the next few months for saugeye.

I dont want to sound like Dr. Phil or anything, but fishing is an important part of most of our lives. If you take out fishing, be sure to involve another enjoyable activity. Lot of stressed out people say they "used to" do stuff, and that is why they are the way they are. I always find time to fish, and consider it a challenge when the bite is slow.

On that note, I fish Mondays and Tuesdays, and occasionally Sundays, if anyone ever wants to throw in. I fish rivers, creeks, resovoirs, ponds, lakes....whatever.
    Rob

15. good post Pharley
    i dont know about you guys and gals but when i go fishing (unless im in a tourney) catching fish is just a bonus... if you think about it alot of the things that get us out on the water (or on the bank) are things like the sun warming your body after a chilli night, the fog lifting off the water, the sun as it sets over the hill or lays flat on the water, the smile on a kids face the first time they set a hook and reel in the biggest fish in the world..alot more to fishing than catching fish

16. flathunter

I keep trying have caught a few more fish lately..I am just the opposite of bigjohn, if I dont catch fish I consider it a bad trip..I dont fish to relax, I fish to catch fish.

17. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

You'll be missed Dave. I know you've poured your heart & soul into these sites over the last few years.
    I've got alot going on too & fishing doesn't provide the relief, etc it used to. I'd rather go to church on Sunday now....... :p Much easier than launching the boat. :eek:
    Then again....with the winter coming on, the river's not so bad as most don't venture out & there's no real boat traffic.