Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Leaves are beginning to fall from the trees. There are enough leaves in the water lately to foul up my crankbait to the tune of around one in five casts.
There are still as many leaves on the trees remaining as stones on the beach I just crossed to get to the spot I intend to fish. I only have a small window to fish and enough time to hit this one hole, I gotta make it count.
A green heron is on a small spot of sand on the opposite bank, crotched down, motionless, hunting. Every so often it slightly turns its head to eyeball me. We are cool and I believe he knows this. I begin casting to the top of the riffle, bringing the orange and brown craw colored crank across the width of the current at a near 45* angle. I've hit this stretch so often lately that I know where every decent piece of structure lies below the surface.
The small heron catches a small fish then peels off like an F-14. Show off....
Meanwhile my bait is crashing off of everything I can plow it into with no results.
I am on a rather large beach, were the water to raise 6 inches, it would be an island. I am walking towards the end where a nice long tapering point is. Here is where the current water meets the slow, nearly dead calm slack water. I have had luck here before. Once to the point, I take to fan casting at a point of about 5 ft between casts. I do not want to spoil this point without first exploring the majority of it both length and breadth.
Hmmmm, nobody home so I step into the warm summer waters and begin casting across and down stream. I get to near mid thigh depth water and cast to the small sand spot previously occupied by the small, cocky heron and land my bait to the down current side of it and begin digging the crank back to me. Right around the time my plastic bait gets some 8 feet or so from me, something hits the crank like it owed it money! Me being the innocent friend to said plastic bait immediately jumped in to help fight this aggressor!
There is less than six feet of line extending from the end if my 6'-6" rod and this fish is in the seam of fast and slow water. Me in near waist deep water and pulling against this pissy fighter, sees the fish rocket from the water to near eye level to me. This was no giant but this fish was a chunk of a smallmouth!
You can imagine that with such little line out that the fight wouldn't last long and I think this fish felt the same so she made sure she made a show if it by doing another Jordan like jump before I had her cupped against my side and walking her to the bank for a photo opp....
She measured out at 15 inches but this girl was big boned! Easily the thickest smallie I've caught this year.
Ok, so it's not one of OSG's beautiful 19+ inchers or SMBhooker's gorgeous northern bronzy's but this girl, I'd take here big butt to the dance any day of the week....bad attitude and all.
I pack up after fishing a few minutes more, peak over my shoulder and see the green heron perched on a sycamore limb and say aloud , " Ha, take that"!
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378377973.673235.jpg

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I only read this because I thought there was a Joe Jordan joke in there somewhere. J/K, nice fish.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
There were some really precious "co-angler gems" in that report that got a good laugh out of me! LOL, I love reading your reports, CO. Keep them coming!

...something hits the crank like it owed it money!
She measured out at 15 inches but this girl was big boned!
Ok, so it's not one of OSG's beautiful 19+ inchers or SMBhooker's gorgeous northern bronzy's but this girl, I'd take here big butt to the dance any day of the week....bad attitude and all.
Great stuff :)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
That's an awesome pic, is that an instagram pic?
Your reports are the best reading on here, you have a real talent for writing.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's an awesome pic, is that an instagram pic?
Your reports are the best reading on here, you have a real talent for writing.
That is Instagram, something I picked up from my teenaged daughter...
Next thing you know I'll be Snap Chatting! Maybe not.
Thanks OSG but I believe many on here would beg to differ!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
There were some really precious "co-angler gems" in that report that got a good laugh out of me! LOL, I love reading your reports, CO. Keep them coming!
...something hits the crank like it owed it money!
She measured out at 15 inches but this girl was big boned!
Great stuff :)
I liked this one too

A green heron is on a small spot of sand on the opposite bank, crotched down, motionless, hunting. Every so often it slightly turns its head to eyeball me. We are cool and I believe he knows this.
That kind of goofy anthropomorphic stuff goes through my head too sometimes

Nice fish too!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts