Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to La Su An area on Monday with a canoe. I have never been there before, just been reading every post about it. Can u guys who have been there give me some pointers. I am looking for gills and LMB. Are there other game species out there too, like pike or crappie? I haven't caught a crappie in about 15 years! Anyways I'm looking for help on where to start? Which of the lakes should I begin at and what techniques are effective for the various species? I know u can only fish if parking lot is not full, but is there any camping out that way? Thanks to all who help me out!!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
A friend & I fished Big Duck Lake there Saturday for a while. Only a few dinks. We then tried fishing the big lake & caught a nice bass, 4 nice gills & a # of dinks. However we fished off the pier. 1st time fishing there in quite a # of years. However my friend had 1 tick on him at BDL & I found 5 back at the camp ground (Sonny west of Wausaun). But we tried 5 ponds & 1 was after our visit there. (I did not have any repellant on which was stupid & I have a habit of spawing on the ground.)

·
Registered
627 Posts
The big lake is the best all around for fishing. Plenty of gills and bass. there is cats and perch in there but far and few between. There is camping at Nettle Lake that is around 3 to 4 miles maybe less from there. Then if you are looking for crappies Nettle is a decent crappie lake. Plus just about any other type of fish gills,cat, pike, bass some perch. hope this helps.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Beg your pardon HatersGonnaHate but I have caught a cat there. It has been a long time ago but I have. We took it in an they weight it and we put it back in the lake. I am going to say it was in the early 90's when I caught it. And I don't think they have stocked any of the lakes there. At least as far as I can remember the state has not stocked them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
well i would believe it back in the early 90's. The state doesnt want any fish but perch, bluegill, bass, redear, punkinseed, and grass carp in there and takes any fish they shock of any other species out of the main lake. I am sure there are a few oddballs in there but not enough to target them. Also beg your pardon mlayers but they stocked catfish in lake us for sure. Before they opened it up to no permits lake us was strictly a kids lake and catfish were stocked in it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there any decent numbers of pike in any of the lakes? I'm wondering if I should use braid or just stay with my mono. Also, what kind of depths should I plan for so I know which cranks to bring. I would appreciate any structure info I can get regarding the lakes in the area

·
Registered
304 Posts
here is a rundown of what you are most likely to catch.

Bass- a ton of 8-12 inch bass but not very often you catch anything bigger

bluegill- main lake is filled with them as well as the other lakes with boat launches. They are in the smaller lakes as well but its tough to find big ones.

redear- same as the bluegill

perch- only in the main lake and they are few and far between. i have fished it for years and only saw a handful pulled out.

catfish- only one of the smaller lakes was stocked with catfish. none of the other lakes have fishable amounts in them

there are no other species of fish stocked or that are in fishable amounts in any of the lakes

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of depths am I looking at. I always prefer top water, but are there lakes where I can use cranks down to 8' or so?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would expect weeds this time of year, but is it too weedy to go for gills near shore? I will be in a canoe with paddles, so I can access anywhere reasonable. I have never targeted gills outside of a worm/wax and bobber. What techniques/strategies should I use to go after FO gill?

·
Registered
13 Posts
A month ago I would have said yes for sure when they were on beds. We went last Sunday and between two of us we caught about 20 in 3 hours, with a few 8-10 inchers. They were spread out quite a bit, so we had to work for them. Caught a few on small spinners and the rest on night crawlers. So I guess it is up to you if you want to drive that far. Personally I don't think I would drive 3.5 hours for 15 gills, but I also have the luxury of being very close to a lot of good panfish lakes.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
89 Posts
I spent 10am-noon today on LSA. There were high winds and an inch of rain last night. Major feeding was supposed to be at 10:23am and you gotta believe in something, right?

I started fly fishing to the east of the ramp with a keeper (7+) on the first cast. Then nothing.

I went to fishing a bobber over Berkley crappie nibbles 6-8 feet down. (My 3d season using them exclusively for 'gills.) I got a keeper on the first cast. Then no more keepers for an hour, although I caught several fish and missed several more.

So, with two keepers in the box, I went back to fly fishing along the east shoreline. Pay dirt!

For some reason known only to 'gills, they were back on their beds and defending them with their lives.

I'll do it again tomorrow. Only five more chances left this year.

Scuttlebutt around the neighborhood is that they may extend fishing on LSA for an extra month next season, but still no ice fishing in the foreseeable future.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts