close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ky Lake trip 2008

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by chaunc, May 10, 2008.

1. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

After having a great time at the Delaware lake tourney, me and T O hit the road heading to Ky lake. The trip went well. We caught a lot of gills and a couple limits of redears that were on or near the spawn. Caught a lot of other species too but the gill action was so fantastic, we made them our target species. Smelled them out and found the beds. We C&R over 200 one day. Most were 8" and better.
    [​IMG]

2. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Decided to keep some for a few frys, so we went back the next day.
    [​IMG]

3. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Next day we decided to look for the redears. With a little info and some hospitality from a couple guys that fish the lake regularly, we found them.
    [​IMG]
    Here's our 2 limits for the day. Almost all of them were over 9" with a good number over 10.
    [​IMG]

4. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

And here's the happy camper with some good eating in both hands.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for allowing me to share my trip with the group from OGF. Had a great time.

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

You didn't think i'd forget to post a pic of T.O. did you?
    [​IMG]

6. looks like a great trip.you we be eating good for a while.congrats!

7. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Family is already in my freezer.:) These fillets wont last long.

8. Great job guys! Looks like some SWEET eating there!!!

9. Hey Chaunc, nice catch!

I was fishing 4-8 may and must've caught 400+ bluegill and redear. My folks live of the lake just down from Hester's/Moors. I think we filleted about 100.

The one thing I haven't figured out is where the redear really spawn. I tend to catch a few mixed in with bluegill but never really had any luck focusing on them. I'm headed back down this weekend, after all, it's the first week of FROG season! Any help on redear ideas would be greatly appreciated.

10. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Got a few emails asking what i used and where we got them. I cant tell you the exact location but we fished the back of the bays down lake. We used white popeye jigs tipped with waxworms. If you're going, take some waxworms with you. It's getting hard to find the baitshops that dont run out of them quickly. T.O. was also catching some of the bluegills with mealworms, which he bought by mistake.:p Can't tell more as i've been sworn to somewhat SECRECY. Good luck and have fun.

11. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Here you go Blance. Pulled it from the depths for you. Those bluegills we caught at shenango dont compare with these.:p