close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

KSU FLASH more trouble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by exexec, May 30, 2004.

1. He just called me from INDY. Was on his way back to his hotel and as best I can tell a tornado was very close. Sounded like a freight train in the background and said something about looking for an overpass to hide when the phone went dead. I hope he is ok!

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Oh my god!! He has terrible luck. I hope is OK. I can't believe it. A tornado came close to me twice as a kid, one I saw.

3. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Hope he wasn't really looking for an overpass...that's a myth and can actually make things worse...Hope he's OK!!!!

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I send my best Ben. good luck.

5. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Well.....I can give a first hand account for what happened, as I was in the middle of it. Not much fun, I can tell you that. I used to live out there, and know my way around pretty well......and knew the way we were going we were going to punch the storm right into the tornado. There were a BUNCH of them touchdown in the INdy area. We spotted one inside of the I 465 outterbelt, and it was HUGE. On the way back we talked to some people at a rest area that took shelter under a bridge as it went right over the bridge. They were covered in mud, etc. Anywho.......we hit some of the heaviest rains I've ever seen in my life. I'm talking 5"+ in a matter of 10 mins. We came up on I-70, and I saw the wall cloud and told my buddy that the tornado (2nd one in Marion County IN) was in that cloud. Sure enough, it was less than 1/4 mile from us. This thing was AWESOME to say the least. We could see roof chunks blowing in the air, treetops being ripped apart.......and transformers blowing up about every 10 seconds. The other guy in front of us that was with our group......his truck got hit by some debris. Needless to say.......with a tornado less than 1/4 mile from your truck......you HAUL BUTT.

There was a radio report that a twister touched down in the camping lot for the speedway out in Indy.......just shortly after we left. I really hope not......because there were TONS of people left there......unprotected......and a little intoxicated. If it did touch down in that field, I fear there will be some casualties.

If you have family in INdy.....especially on the South or SE or even NE sides, you might want to call them on a cell phone. I don't think you will get through them on a land line. Lines/trees/etc. all torn down and twisted up.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Man, This doesnt sound good. I'll kepthem in my prayers.

Shawn, Im glad to see that you guys got back unharmed.

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Here is a pic of what I saw.......only when it got to the area that I was at, the sky was pitch black........and it was much larger than this. Imagine this thing less than 1/4 mile from your truck heading right toward you......will all kinds of crap blowing up in the sky.[​IMG]

8. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

H20.......yeah, it was a long drive home, that's for sure. LOL. Reality didn't kick in until I saw the people at the rest area around Dayton that was stuck in the larger tornado....under a bridge. You could see the mud on the poor girls shirt.....and a clean handprint on her side where her husband was holding onto her. There were a LOT of people caught up in this storm. And it changed direction so much, you really didn't know where it was going.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

And for those that have never been in the heart of one........you DEFINATELY feel a pressure change with popping in your ears. I've had it before.....but this time it was VERY distinct....and I knew we were heading right for it.

10. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Any word from KSU FLASH?

11. I just tried to call his cell and got no answer.

12. that is freakin scary stuff man. did it really sound like a train? i hope everyone is ok.

13. catking

catking Banned

Hope he's alright. I'm sure he has a few stories. CATKING

14. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Wow sounds like a heck of an experiance. I've always wanted to see a tornado from a safe distance.

Was the traffic insane in Indy given the Indy 500 and the storm making everyone move? I was there on Friday and it was a mad house.

15. I just talked to him and he was talking about toto, dorothy, the wicked witch, scarecrow, some wizard guy who was gonna beam him back to kansas and other stuff, but I was too distracted to listen to his ramblings. Seriously I'll let him tell the exact story but he was in the middle of all the stuff. He sounds somewhat shaken but knot stirred.

16. Glad you guys are alright. I've always been intrigued by tornados but that all sounds way to close for comfort.

17. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Cant wait to hear the rest of the story!

18. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Wow! Glad you guys made it back in one piece. GREAT pic Shawn.

19. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Well, what can I say other than I am glad to be the heck out of Indiana. I think I am gonna call it tornado alley for now on. The drive down was pretty nice. Very sunny and no problems. The Race day events were post poned a few times due to weather, but the majority of the race was run. It was an awesome sight to see the Indy 500. It was my first Indy race, so I was just checking everything out. After the race finally finished, we began our journey back to the truck. Little did I know how much of a journey it was about to be. Let me first start off by saying that I am now the spokes man for the FROG TOGG rain gear. I purchased it last week with the intentions of wearing it for fishing, but I decided to take it with me to the race. I am not kidding you when I say that anything under the jacket and pants set was dry as a bone, and boy did it sure get a workout with the rain that Indiana had. I am not kidding you when I say the rain was comming down so card that it felt like buckets of water instead of raindrops. We finally got back to my truck, and got on the road. The traffic where I was wasn't to bad, until all h-ell broke loose. I was on I-465 headed south to the hotel, when all of a sudden traffic came to an almost stop. I look to my left and see what looked like a funnel cloud, I turn on the radio and find a local station reporting the weather. Come to find out it was a tornado. At first I was like this is pretty neat, the Indy 500, now seeing a tornado. Little did I know s-hit was about to get ugly. Before I know it, cars are pulling off to the side of the road, and just ahead of me I see pretty much what Tpet has illustrated via a picture. It was huge. It sounded like a train, and I was trying to figure out what the heck I was going to do. Not only did I see that tornado, but just behind me it was looking as if another was about to form. I considered my options, and decided after quickly thinking, I am dropping the hammer on the truck and going the extra 3 miles to my exit on the express way. So I put it in 4 wheel drive, pulled off to the side of the road, and I dropped the hammer, funning thing was, is that I seen some other trucks follow my lead. I finally get up to my exit, with the sky looking like h-ell just opened up, and my exit was closed due to powerlines down and flooding. So I go up to the next exit, and while approaching exit 3A, I notice a semi-truck flipped over in the middle of the road, a building with its roof completely ripped off, street signs twisted like I have never seen before, mobile homes stacked like domino's, trees across the x-way, advertising signs that used to be on the side of the road that were thrown all the way across the x-way, flooding like I have never seen, and wind that was literally blowing so hard that it was horizontal rather than vertical. There were also some cars that looked like they had been bounced off the pavement so many times, that they looked to be about half the size they used to be. I seen people under overpasses, wet as all get out, muddy as all get out, women were freaking out, and the men were just plain old confused on what they should do. The lightning was incredible, the wind would have taken me to the next state over if I had gotten out of my truck, due to I don't weigh that much, as most of you know. I finally get me and the girlfriend back to the hotel. Of coarse there is no power. The hotel didn't have any emergency lighting either. So I took my flashlight and made our way to the hotel room. I look out our balcony and things looked to be about the same as when we were driving. We had no food, so I decided that if we were going to wait this thing out over night, that we both needed water, food, batteries, etc....So we journeyed up the road, not knowing what to find or expect. We found a gas station about 4 miles up the road that had power, we bought a few things and then headed back. At this point there was so much water on the road that cars were stalling out and getting stuck in water so deep it would probably come up to my knees on some parts of the road. The wind shear was incredible, but with all that we made it back to the hotel, and camped there the rest of the night. On a lighter note, I wish I would have brought my rod/reel, so that I could have gotten some of the carp fishing in the parking lot due to the river overflowing into the streets and parking lots. There were a few flatheads in the mix as well...haha, just kidding.....I am glad to be back in Ohio, of which is where I am staying for the next few weeks until I can recover from the stress that I endured last night. When I look back and tell stories about my first Indy 500, I will no doubt not forget about this experience. I did hear some reports while in Indiana, that 6 people did loose their life to these tornadoes. I believe there have been 3 confirmed at this time, and I was involved in at least 1 of them.

On a side note, since becomming a member of the online fishing community, I haven't had such good luck. I think I can put the motor falling off the boat behind me now, due to this latest event is now the newest bad luck report for KSUFLASH.

Lastly, while on 224 East comming home today, I seen a sign that said Indianapolis 10 miles. hmmmmmmmmm.....

Storm Chaser--------------------------------------out

20. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

WOW!!! Sounds like some experience!! Now that everything is over, and you and your friends, as well as your property is OK...you can look back at that day with awe. It will be one of your most precious memories, regardless of origin.

I am a weather nut and look back at the day I saw a tornado in person with fascination.

I lived in Brimfield on route 18 two houses away from what is now Vic's sportscenter, and a thin rope tornado went diagonally across the cornfield beside and behind our houses. I was about 12 years old or so, and I was in my room looking at records (yes, LPs), when I heard a loud commotion and looked out my window and watched the small twister pass. There was not much rain until after it passed. The worst winds and debris were close to the center and a couple thousand feet away from the house.

The tornado went through the back woods leaving a perfect "U" shaped valley in downed trees, about 50 yards across or so. What was neat was that where it touched the ground, it stripped a clear dirt path a couple feet wide through the forest floor.

I can't remember the date, but this was the same series of storms that hit Niles and Newton Falls, and other places, and western PA. Dozens and dozens of tornadoes hit that day. Brimfield was one of the first tornadoes, and weakest thank god! It went up rte 18 form near the center of Brimfield up to the Rootstown border. It took out some garages and trees all up the road. When it got to the cornfield by my house, it shot off to the back thankfully.

Ben, thankfully you are OK. And have fun remembering that day, you were fortunate!