close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kokosing Sept 1

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by StuckAtHome, Sep 1, 2007.

1. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Shwookie and I hit the koko again this week, water level excellent and boy is it clear, see bottom 4 feet of water. What a different river than the ones around here, current is a bunch quicker, the main forage seems to be baitfish, pods everywhere, crawdads not even close to what the Darby has, haven't even seen one there yet, but did I say minnows everywhere? Took us a bit to figure out what they wanted, put on a weighted tube, that was the ticket. caught a few nice Sm bunch of dink SM and rockies, lost 3 nice SM, let me tell you about the one though. Hooked a HOG HOG HOG about 15 yards below a huge tangle of trees in DEEP water, current is moving me away about 1-2 mph, SM starts STRIPPING line from my BAITCASTER with 30 lb fireline, I tighten it almost full, she turns me around in the current, pulls me upstream heading for snag, I'm yelling at Brock to do something(I don't know what, I was crazy by then) its still pulling line, I don't know how, rod is bent more than I ever seen it, she heads into deep tree(I can see about 4-5 feet down) and she does a tango around the tree limbs and I'm stuck. I tried everything to get it out, thought about diving in, Brock couldn't touch with his paddle, I'm livid by now. Never saw the fish, BUT I'm 99% sure it was a SM, my PB lost SM. Had to cut the line, darn braid and heavy hook I had I bet if I had my truck close I could hook it up to the hitch and drag that tree and SM out! Then I said a bunch of bad things, threw my paddle, then had a cigar. I said my peace,lol. Heres a couple pics, also I forgot, saw lots of deer AND a BALD EAGLE!!! Very cool. Back to the Darby next time...

PS- Junky: Brock was MUCH later than you were, almost 2 hours!!!!! My wife isn't very pleased and doesn't buy my "story", I need to learn to lie better.

Attached Files:

2. SHHHHHH!!!! Don't tell people that ;)

3. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Nice fish. to bad about the pb, makes a great fish story though.

4. StuckAtHome

Here is a couple pics of scenery while I was waiting for Shwookie,lol.

Attached Files:

5. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

I actually made it to mt. vernon only 30 minutes late. I then spent almost 1 1/2 driving around in deliverance country and in dense fog.

That being said, sorry again mike. I offered some case plastics as a peace offering.

All in all a good day, started horribly, but ended ok. Seeing the bald eagle was something else.
    Heck I even caught some fish!!!!!

I really look forward to hitting some home waters though.

PS Mike, I got lost going home as well, it took me almost 1 1/2 to get home....

6. StuckAtHome

That sucks, you know what I'm going to say, get a GPS!!!!! I'm gadget man I know, but finding these little places like Bob's road in hilljack lane is hard enough driving looking at a map that doesn't show Bob's, or don't get me started with map quest, all it does is get you lost quicker. KOKO sure is a pretty river, and DEEP with current and clear, Darby is totally different in all ways, its a different pretty, felt like being on the cover of field and stream fishing some trout stream in the middle of nowhereville( thats next to Bob's road). Wife isn't mad, very happy because UM lost(HA HA!) and ND lost (HA HA!) and OSU won(no brainer) so I'm good, going to try to get out Monday morning, wish me luck, lol

7. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

nice, been on the koko once in black hand gorge, nice river and fish there mike. Did he at least call you and tell you he was going to be late?lol

8. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I believe that is the Licking River that goes through Black Hand Gorge.

Nice fat fish!

9. StuckAtHome

Yup, he called me as he woke up, I was about 15 minutes away from the meeting place, it takes me about 70 minutes to get there from Picktown, I'm a good 20 minutes closer than he is to KOKO, then he called from Mt. Vernon, he got there FAST!!!! Then nada for 90 minutes,lol. I took pictures, I fished from shore, I sang until the birds told me to shut up, I sat in the car, I went back to the river, walked the cornfield, called his cell a million times(no coverage) then I waited so more until I heard his car SCREAMING down the gravel road, knew it was him. He did let me raid his plastics though, I wasn't mad, wife was that we were a bit later than planned. All in all a good time, bald eagle was cool, wish I thought about the camera. I also saw a small raptor(not dinosaur) Coopers Hawk? It wasn't a red tailed, pretty small.

10. Sounds like a great time!

11. StuckAtHome,
    Next time you guys plan on fishing the Kokosing drop me a line. I know exactly where Bob's road on Hilljack lane is!:D Grew up fishing the koko from Mt. Vernon to Brinkhaven. Mapquest seems to always create more confusion than neccessary.

12. Good fishing and good stories. Too bad on losing the big boy. Just try to convince yourself it was not your PB and it may ease the pain. Heck after all I have caught several monster carp in that exact area on jigs, tubes, etc. so don't rule them out of the possibility.;) There are also a few flatties and perhaps you found one of them. I have never found any monster ones in that area but there are some big enough to cause a mess in timber.

You are right that there are huge number of baitfish in the river, mostly shiners, dace, and chubs. It is really a pretty river. Too bad there are no fish in it though. Ssh!;) :D

13. StuckAtHome

I was thinking the other day it might be a large Flatty, only weird thing is the way it fought, just like a smallie, head shakes and all. All the big carp and cats I have ever caught, more or less take off like a missile, straight fast runs with little feedback from body turns/head shakes. Are there Muskies in there in any numbers? Whatever it was it was big, it still could have been a 5-6 pound SM but they are so rare anymore, who knows, I was upset at the time, but now it seems to make me want to try again, if it was a PB SM, and a once in a lifetime fish, I wouldn't have much to fish for knowing it would be next to impossible to break, so I guess in its own way its good news, I know its out there, unless its still stuck to the tree(hope not).

14. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

SAT, The smallie you had a pic. of is quite large for the koko anyway. You should be happy that one. I have never caught a fish over 3.5lbs. over the course of 20 years fishing there. There are occasional pike that show up in some sections but no musky. There are some very large suckers/carp throughout the whole river.

15. As far as toothy critters in the Koko as Newbreed suggested there are a few pike but not many. There are even the occasional muskie but even more rare than the pike. You will see a few more pike the farther downstream you go. I have fished the Koko for over 30 years and I can tell you if you hooked a 5-6 smallie that would be bigger than anything I have ever seen or heard of from the Koko.;)

16. shwookie

Like I said mike, sometimes the fish story is better than the fish...
    Not that SaH is lying, just the speculation of the one that got away is sometimes better than catching the darn thing.

I still say it was a fish ohio rockbass though.:)

17. StuckAtHome

Heck of a rock bass!!!!! It was fun, like Brock says, sometimes not knowing is more fun than knowing, if that makes any sense. All I know it was bigger than any SM I have ever hooked into, in fact bigger than anything I ever caught, except up at Alum once crappie fishing bringing in a nice crappie and out of a brush pile like a rocket a large muskie grabbed this poor fish and turned and took off, I didn't have a hook in the muskie, but after 20 feet of my poor little spinning reel burning up the drag the line broke. It wasn't that bad because I had hefty equipment, but whatever it was as they say in jaws" I think we need a bigger boat!" Good thing Brock talked me out of jumping in and trying to get the darn fish, that would have been a funny post!

18. StuckAtHome

Brock did you notice that none of the SM jumped? I just thought about that, not one that I caught did any aerial stunts, thats unusual don't ya think?

19. shwookie

I had one jump, but no others did.
    Of course, mine were all small, like 12" and under.

20. From what I understand, when Smallies jump it is an involuntary reaction to being hooked and a lack of aerial showing may be a sign of fatigue and stress from summer water temps.

Obviously, water temps were not dangerously high or they wouldn't have been feeding at all but the fish may have been lethergic...I have noticed this in the Scioto and Olentangy that last couple of weeks and that water is WARM.