close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

kokosing. anyone fish there?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Anth, Sep 7, 2004.

1. just wondering if anyone does,also what types of fish are there?
    i got 2 sun fish one day.

2. I catch alot of smallmouth there.

3. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

Use to fish it alot in a canoee up by Utica. Small mouth fishing there is great. Use hellgramites, or spinners (rooster tails catch alot of things).

Good luck

4. I am not sure if Anth means the river or the reservoir/lake?

I fish the river quite a bit but have not done much on the lake. The river is usually very consistent with smallmouth numbers but the size is not always too big. There are plenty of rock bass in many stretches as well.

5. yea i ment the lake, i forgot anout the river.
    i know where the river is,but where is the best spot to fish it at.

6. Wow, that is a tough call on the best spot. There are good spots along the river all the way from the lake down to where it hits the Walhonding River. I have heard of people doing well up just below the lake but I personally have never fished there. I also hear a lot of good reports of the area below Fredericktown, again this is farther upstream than I normally go. I have done well on the branch coming out of Knox Lake as well. If you head downstream from there you will find a lot of opportunities for both LM and SM bass.

7. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

at kokosing res. in fredericktown fish rocks along the dam and the standing timbers at the other end for bass ....catfish and carp are thick in the lake....but it really not a big producer

8. 2TallTim,

I have never been on the lake but have been to the campgrounds area a couple of times. In your opinion what is it about the lake that nobody really favors it for fishing? Insufficient stocking program? Too shallow? Less than optimal spawning and living conditions? Or is it just really a secret honey hole and nobody wants to give it up?;) :D I hesitate to take the boat up there and give it a try until I hear better reports. If it is a secret honey hole then the smoke screen is working on me.:D

9. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog 'Tusc River Rat

used to fish the kokosing right below the dam at the lake years ago- used to catch smallies( nice place to wade in the summer with a fly rod) also are there still northern pike there in the early spring ??? 'Rude Dog

10. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

i just never cared for it....it is very shalow and there are a lot of logs, brush, and stumps in the north end that if you dont watch your self you can distroy your boat...the story is that year ago they stocked pike in there and that ruined the rest of the fishing..the stocking never took off and i dont think there anrent that many left....just a story i once heard i dont know if its true....they did stock quite a few cats in there about 3 years ago but i havent tried for a while.....i know there are a lot of carp because you see them everywhere, turtles as well (snapers and box)....another thing i dont like is there launch ramp isnt very deep i have a little 12ft. semi v and i have a lot of problems launching it i have to get the truck almost all the way into the water and reloading is even harder......dont get me worng there are fish there i just dont think its worth the hassle