koko report

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by shwookie, Aug 20, 2007.

1. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

I'm looking to head up there this weekend and was wondering if i could get some info on the place.
    Info like water level, hopefully its getting some rain, its probably low like everywhere else right now, and if possible, info on a good stretch to hit from a kayak. Looking for as little dragging and as much fishing as possible. Ideally if there is a stretch that is better to fish than another, that info would be really nice. Not looking for any hotspots, just don't want to go all the way there and fish a dead spot.

If you want to pm any info as opposed to posting, thats fine.
    Thanks.

2. shwookie

33 views and nada huh?

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

USGS shows the water level is coming up fast. If we keep getting rain, I'm not sure it would be worth the drive.

CG

4. I would say it is definitely too early to tell what the river condition is going to be like by the weekend. Who knows how much more rain we will get? Also, if they get a lot from the Loudonville direction (which I believe they did already) then that will slow the recovery of the Kokosing because they converge for the Walhonding which can be controlled by the Mohawk Dam. My rain gage has totaled nearly 2.5" so far in the last day and a half. That was before the torrential downpour that hit about a half hour ago and is still going. So I would say check back later in the week.;)

5. Like they said it is to early to tell, but in general head farther east(down river) for more water. There will be shallow spots, but how can a day on the river be ruined by a little dragging?

6. With the rain we have and the forcast my bet is it will be too high and fast to fish this weekend.

7. A coworker was late to work today due to cleaning up his basement. He is up around the Charles Mill area and said that he had something over 6 inches of rain overnight through this morning. He did not know how much because the gage overflowed. So all of that water has to make it down through the Muskingum water basin. It will take a few days for it to make it through. So definitely check in later in the week. Who knows what it will be like.

8. shwookie

Thanks guys. Not what I wanted to hear, but oh well.
    I will check back later.

9. I drove across up in Mt. Vernon this afternoon and I can tell you that it is only a bit muddy and has risen a couple of feet. It would probably clear up by the weekend if it were not for the fact that there is a ton of water joining downstream from the Mohican River. Mohawk Dam has already risen nearly 15 feet and shows no sign of stopping yet. That will slow the recovery of the Kokosing somewhat as well.

You can use these sites to check on the status.

Mohawk Dam

USGS Real-Time Water Data for Ohio

10. It could get a litte dangerous in a kayak. I don't know you're skill level, but it might not be the best weekend to explore new water:

[​IMG]

11. The river was way up at my place this morning, I would not want to go out on it now, but if it drops about half way Ill be there friday. I dont know what the fishing will be like then, but the rapids should be fun.

12. The river did rise a couple of more feet since I posted the last time. We really didn't get any more rain but it just had not reached the crest yet. Even where it is right now I don't think it is much of a hazard to an experienced kayaker. It has only risen about 3.5' and it was extremely low to begin with. I doubt that it is much more than a foot above its normal early season level. At this point I think the question that remains is whether it clears enough to become fishable. If I think of it I will try to post back in a day to let you know how it is then. The Mohawk Dam has risen more than 22' thus far and doesn't appear to be done so the drop will be delayed somewhat.

13. crittergitter

More rain in the forcast for Friday and Saturday......but who knows.........maybe we won't get 19.5" and the river will not be raging out of control. Well, then by all means.......let's all grab our rods and kayaks and head north. Life vests.....pfffft.

:D

CG

14. It's amazing the different viewpoints on what is "good" water to fish in a river.
    We've been chomping at the bit for the last two months to get enough water so our flow WOULD be all muddy and high...so the fishing will get better.
    I'm sick of catching 20 12"ers for every decent fish.
    I say bring it on, the muddier the better.

15. shwookie

I like the water a little cloudy, atleast I think I do. I haven't seen any this summer though.
    The closer it gets to the weekend, if someone who sees the river could give me an update, that would be great.

16. Dude, just watch the gage.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv/?site_no=03136500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010
    It aint rocket science to figure out whether it's going to be muddy or not.

With the exception of two particular flows that I know of, MOST rivers are going to fish pretty dam well when they are muddying up and on the rise.

If you were a fish and your water started to drastically rise, what would you be doing to plan for a possible extended flood?
    I know I'd be hiding behind any current break I could find and eating everything that came close to me.

17. shwookie

Ouch.
    Just looking for a first hand account on the water clarity closer towards the weekend. If the gauge website tells me clarity, then I had to miss it.

I can guess it will be muddy, I just don't know how muddy since I have never been there before.

18. Sorry bout that. That came out kind of wrong. And tact has never been my forte'.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/rt
    Everything in blue or black is going to be muddy as shiznit. Not kind of muddy, or a little muddy, but extremely muddy.

bkr:
    It would probably clear up by the weekend if it were not for the fact that there is a ton of water joining downstream from the Mohican River. Mohawk Dam has already risen nearly 15 feet and shows no sign of stopping yet. That will slow the recovery of the Kokosing somewhat as well.

Color me confused. How does the downstream conflunce effect the Kokosing and/or it's recovery and clarity?

19. It would probably not be very evident upstream as far as Howard to Mount Vernon but as you get nearer to the confluence the flow will slow down if the situation downstream at the dam is not allowing for it to go anywhere. It will still eventually make it down but when you are backing up water some 25' or more at the dam it will certainly have an upstream slowing effect.

20. crittergitter

I can't post on this thread anymore.......Oh wait, I just did. Dang it!

I can't take it. I can't take it. I'm gonna need my pills. Grandma...........is that you????????????????????????????

CG