close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kodiak Island

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by TheKing, Jan 31, 2005.

1. I am ready to plan a fishing trip to Kodiak Island for June. Any OGF'ers familiar with this area?

2. I was stationed in Kodiak 1956 U.S. Navy Seabees.

Caught Cut-throught salmon, Dolly Varden Trout, and Grunion (similar to smelt). I don't think salmon will be running in June. Did not try Gulf of Alaska deep sea.

Work of caution: Don't mess with the Kodiak bears. They can run up and down hill faster than you, climb trees and have a bad attitude when around family. Black bears no problem I can go up and pet them.

3. OK, thanks for the info. Sounds like I picked a bad time......so what is the right time of year for the salmon?

And I hear you on the Kodiak bears.....I am planning on taking someone slower than myself just in case. :)

4. Trouble with a slow running partner is, supposadly the bears can't see too well, if he/she stops and looks like a tree then the new focus is on you.

I also heard a .3006 shot to the head will not stop them because their brain pan and skull are very thick and flat sloped. It takes a perfect shot to the heart.

50 years is too long for me to recall details. I'm not sure if I answered your question or not yet and that has only been one day.

Like they say timing is everything. The fish are usually where you are not.
    Try
    http://www.kodiak.org/seafood.html
    Sport Fishing
    Sport fishing run timing charts

5. I guess that is what friends are for. :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

6. Reel,
    50 years is not that long ago. How old were you? I was born in 1957. Anyway, tell me what you can remember about it when you get a chance. What are the Navy Seabees? What was the mission?

Shortdrift - I was thinking of my boss in that run from the bear(s)....I can't think of a better guy for the job. Got a real mean streak in me.

7. Born 1933.

Seabee is from CB which means Construction Battalion. M is mobile.
    If you saw the movie "Fighting Seabees" by John Wayne, it is a glimpse.
    It is a volunteer unit and one of the highest casualty groups because they "go in first", and are lightly armed.

I was a surveyor. While on Kodiak the work of our unit, MCB5, consisted of: Extending the Naval Air Station Runway; Rebuilding aircraft hangars; Designing new ships harbor docking facility; Running new electrical feeder service to barracks; reroofing military residences and other misc.

Really enjoyed the time. Incidently because of the warm ocean current flow the average monthly temperature in the Aleutian Islands is never below freezing.

Although I remember being in troop ship in a 110 knot winter gale just off the coast. Everybody was seasick.

8. You guys fishing the gulf or inland streams?

9. reel,
    I enjoyed finding out about the Seabees from you. I think there are many more stories that you could tell from those days. I would imagine that there wasn't much up there in 1956.

truck,
    So far, what I know that has me hooked is a flyfishing trip my co-worker took this past summer. He said they just pulled off the road by the river and caught everything....not a cast without a big keeper fish of some kind. He stayed at his friends place in the Coast Guard quarters.

From what I can read about, the possession limits and the daily limits for the stream fish are "meathunter friendly". So, there would be something to feast on when I return home. And, I think a halibut trip to the gulf would add a hundred pounds of meat to the freezer as well.

I'll check with my co-worker to see about the right time to go for the salmon.
    This year might be the year for my son and me to take that dream trip that I sometimes fantasize about. I looked into Gangler's, but wow, too much $$ for me.

reel, what do you remember about the areas. The Kodiak's don't scare me.....I think I can badly whoop one or two with a ball bat.

10. Back of picture says:
    1956 Sept 15, Tom on right, Cape Chiniak Kodiak Alaska

Attached Files:

11. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

The kings start running in July and the silvers late July early August. I work with my father in law netting salmon in Bristol Bay each summer out of Pederson Point. The kings are a strong fight but the silvers are an unbelievable fight. Fish out of King Salmon you won't be disappointed.

Krustydawg

12. reel,
    You guys in that picture are looking at something down below.....was it Heather? You are the one on the left, right?

Krustydawg,
    Is the area saturated with crazed fisherman in late-July?

truck,
    that picture of Heather....whoa man. wooooooohoooooooooooo

13. Me on right. Friend from Illinois on left.
    Both looking at sloping up ramp.
    No heathers here but lots of goodies back in Seattle.

14. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

TheKing,
    The few times that I hit King Salmon I only saw three other boats in the river the same time as we were. What a beautiful placem, can't wait to make the trip again this summer. I will post some pics of the Kings I caught when I get a chance. I hope you make the trip it's an unforgettable experience everytime I go.

Krustydawg

15. OK Krustydawg. You and reel are the OGF experts. Sign me up. Where do I stay, how do I fly in. Do I need a car when I get there. Who do I set-up for a float down the King Salmon (I assume it's a river, right?) Are the halibut trips awesome too.

16. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

King,
    Give me a ring at 419-656-4168. I will go over everything with you, too much typing for me. You would actually be flying into the town of King Salmon and fishing on the Naknek River. For Halibut you need to go south of King Salmon to the Homer, Alaska area. Never did the Halibut fishing but it sure looks fun and they are great to eat. Give me a call when you get the opportunity and we'll chat.

Matt Adams
    A.K.A. Krustydawg