Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knox lake is alive & well.
Attached are some examples of todays results.
Total catch was seventeen today, with two fisherman.
Sunday (Fathers Day) my off springs were out of town,
So I did a loner. Boated nineteen, no pics as I was alone.
Largest to day was 20 in. 4lbs. as you can see in the pic
It hung from my knee to my shoe top.

Oh, seeing a lot of adult shad must be about ready to spawn.

Hey F4 F quit running all over the state. You got great fishing
right in your back door.:D

Capt Hook

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For some strange reason it only aloud me to load One Pic.
Heres some more.

click on for larger view.

Capt Hook

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great to hear Knox is fishing well, it's one of my favourite places. I had planned to go elsewhere this weekend but upon reading of your recent success capt-hook, I've now got the urge to goto Knox lake instead :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
earlier in the day, say until 8:30 or 9:00am
i like "buzzin" or "poppin"
Then plastics. creature baits like the baby bush hog.
color seemes to be the answer at knox as far as plastics are conderned.
My son and I were fishing power worms. using diff. colors.
black , pumpkin seed and blue fleck.
Sun. pumpkin seed ruled. Thursday it was blue fleck. Go figure!

Not much of a hard bait user, but gonna try and then learn about them.:p

Capt Hook

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice picures Capt. I hae never fished Knox but have stopped by to take a look one time. Seems like a real nice lake. Do you fish the shallows all summer or dose the lake have much deep structure for when the temp gets hot? I fish Ladue in northeast Ohio most of the time and the bass go deep this time of year. I enjoy fishing shallow and I'm looking for a good lake to fish shallow all summer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Personally, I always fish shallow there.
The bass relate heavily to wood .
Any lay down or tree thats sunken is a good bet.
Late July and August there is a great abundance
of shad, and they feed heavy on them. (hint,hint):p
Also over hanging trees can produce.

I like mid to late fall for best season there.

Capt Hook

·
Registered
157 Posts
i hit knox for a little while around the 12th of june. it was my first time there. seemed like the water was way up and it also seemed like there were a ton of new laydowns along the shore. we did not have the boat to fish it very well, so we were only there for a little while. is it normal to be up at that level? it was almost like there had been major rains recently, but there hadnt been any rain for a while beforehand.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
i hit knox for a little while around the 12th of june. it was my first time there. seemed like the water was way up and it also seemed like there were a ton of new laydowns along the shore. we did not have the boat to fish it very well, so we were only there for a little while. is it normal to be up at that level? it was almost like there had been major rains recently, but there hadnt been any rain for a while beforehand.
You are right that there has not been any rains recently. I am guessing that the lake was not really up. I realize that having not been there before would make it difficult to tell that but there are a LOT of laydowns in the water at Knox which is one reason that many folks love that lake. I have not been up to Knox any time recently and perhaps I am wrong on the levels but regardless you can expect to find plenty of laydowns to fish there pretty much anytime you go.

·
Registered
157 Posts
it wasnt really the number of laydowns. it was more of how recent most of them looked. there were numerous ones that still had leaves on them. it was almost like someone went through and fell and bunch of trees into the water. honestly, i hate fresh laydowns along the bank, only because i never have any luck around them. however, i would guess next year or even by fall, they will be like apartment complexes for bass there. you are right, it was my first time there so i was totally out of my element, but i would love to fish it more to learn it. haha, anything new and unusual scares me for a while. i did miss one fish off a new blowdown, which my buddy probably caught on his next cast - our only catch.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I personally don't fish the lake all that often either so it would be hard for me to give you any great tips for fishing it. I do recall fishing it a few times in the middle of the summer years ago and we did a lot of worm pitching in the timber. I am not saying that would be the only way and place to catch them but as you said they are in there and we did manage a few. As far as the freshly downed trees I have no answer there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
capt-hook, didnt mean to hijack your thread. those are some good fish. i need to get a set up like you were fishing out of and head back there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts