close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knox Ice good for now

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Miso_Ohio, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Went out yesterday with Johnstown Jon and another a friend who has never been ice fishing before. Fished the stumps on the shallow end, ice was solid for now at a little over 7 inches. Talked to another guy who said it was about the same thickness at the other deep end. Not sure what the warm spell the next couple of days will do to it but for now it is safe. On to the fishing,

We were trying some new things for us with the Tip-Ups and it seemed to work. Caught 5 nice catfish on tip-ups, all coming right off the bottom, the best luck was on one in about 13 feet of water as well as a couple Gills on shallow Tip-Ups. Also caught a few cats with the jigging poles as well as some Gills (some big and some not so big) and one really nice perch for Knox, probably about 8 inches compared to the nornal 2 inch perch I always catch there. Fished until the sun went down, bite was really picking up but we all forgot lights so it was getting hard to fish.

The newcomer did not land a fish, but he had one on so at least he got a bite, I think he had a good time though and will give it a go again. Ice fishing can be a little tricky especially when the bite is really light. All in all got a little over 20 fish for John to filet, the bggest being a 20 inch catfish, a great way to start the ice fishing season, cannot wait to get back out there. Sorry I do not have any pics, brought the camera but my batteries where dead.

2. Nice going Miso. You're talking about the stump field in the far north end...right? It's only like 3-4 fow max up there so I got confused when you mentioned 13 fow. What were you using for bait on the catfish, if you don't mind me asking? For summertime cats we've done extremely well on shrimp up there in the flooded timber. I always wondered how easy it would be to ice them up using the same bait in the winter. Thanks.

3. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Yes the North end across from the boat ramp I was seeing 6-7 foot on the sonar, the 13 foot was out in the channel towards where the water feed into the the windy section of the lake, if that makes any sense to you. Did not try shrimp, normally winter baits are different from summer baits. Most of the cats came on minnows, a few came on wax worms, perch came on wax worms and the gills where a 50 50 split between wax worms and minnows. Hope that helps.