close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knox Ice conditions

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Miso_Ohio, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Want to get some ice fishing in this weekend but due to the high water in most areas we are limiting outsleves to bodies of water with not much running into them.

I was wondering if there was anybody reading this who has been by knox recently, if they could give me an ice update. I am not expecting a walk out on the ice to check for how deep the ice is, but that would be nice if you could ;) I am more interested if it has glazed over yet, I figure if it has chances are good for safe ice by Saturday, hopefully. If not we will make other plans.

Also interested in Amick ice conditions by Gallion as well.

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Sean,

Amicks is iced over. I will give it a test on Friday. Not sure about Knox.

3. Miso_Ohio

Great to hear, talked to John today and he is pumped to go. We where talking that we would rather go to Amick anyways if it is fishable. Something about that place, we just need to find the fish.

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Finding the fish isn't a problem since it's early ice again :) Getting to it is going to be the trick. LOL. I'll check it tomorrow and again on Friday. If we get 3", we'll go. I've been out there on 1 1/2. Not a recommended idea, but it held.

5. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

By the way....I'm going to send you a PM in a min :D

6. Spencer Lake has 2in of ice. I checked 1-19-05 at 8:45.

7. Miso_Ohio

Thanks for the reply Fish Gut but I don't have a clue where Spencer is.

In case anybody else is wondering Jonstown John went scouting Knox last night. He did not head out on the dam end, he said it was frozen on the boat dock side, but there was open water in a big area around the dam side. In the shallow stump end he said it was frozen acrross. He went out and recorded 2 1/2 inches min from bank to the middle. Pretty much fishable now, should hopefully get over the 3 inch mark by Saturday which is what I prefer. Just in case anybody was wondering. Will most likely be there Saturday as long as the wind does not get too crazy.

8. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Sean,

I will call you in a few. I'm going to run over to Knox again this morning and get a reading. I would imagine it's at the 3" mark now. Nice quiet area, and no winds last night. Made it down to 12 I believe. That may be the place. The res is still open here, but the shore doesn't look as bad now. They are done pumping in as well. Might sneak out there if they crew is back out in full force again.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Just got back from Knox gang. Odd ............really odd. LOL. Had 3" of ice near shore, 1 1/2" about 50 yards out, and 2-2 1/2" about 70 yards out. Nice pressure crack formed from the marina across the lake to the other parking lot across the lake. Very wet on top around there. Ice wasn't forming either, which is strange for 15 F outside and little snow on the ice. The water was somewhat murky underneath, so I figured it was keeping the ice warm enough from the sunlight to prevent it from forming.

On the other hand, Amicks Reservoir in Galion has about 3-4" of ice with 5" in some spots. Still open right dead in front of the pumphouse, but most fishing is in other spots. I would personally say that if you fish here this weekend, fish the West side in the back somewhere....and don't venture further than say 1/3 of the lake East and you will be A OK.