close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Knox 11/16/2004

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Anth, Nov 16, 2004.

1. went to the boat launch and marina on the south side, I got there around 3:00pm.
    first i saw a catfish right on the launch,he swam away when he saw me. then on the first dock near the boat launch i got a BIG 20 and 1/2inch BASS. this was the biggest fish i ever got.! he was like 4lbs. I got him on a spinner bait and he dident put up much of a fight.
    I was unable to get the hook out, it was stuck in his lower lung. i walked over to this guy fishing on the other dock and askd ''do you have a hook remover?''
    he gave me some plyers and back i went. i got the hook out but the fish lost a good amount of blood. he came over and sed ''thats a big bass, but i dont think hes gona make it''. we watched him swim away, i wish i dident hook him so bad.

2. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Sometimes that happens, just think of all the ones you let loose and live to swim another day. It sucks when that happens though but you can't help it sometimes. Nice catch.

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Man he must have inhaled the bait to get it in that far! No wonder he did not fight much! I don't think I would if I have a hook in my throat! :eek:

4. :eek: I have been told and I practice the folowing;
    If I hook a bass no matter what its size that deep
    where it is imposible to get the hook out, ,, If I am
    using plastic or soft baits I pull the bait from the
    hook then cut the line as close to the hook as
    possible then release the fish. Its said, the digestive
    juices in the fishes stomach will desolve the hook.

If I`m using hard baits (plugs spinners etc) I have on board
    a good set of dikes and cut the hook from the lure and release
    the fish.
    What say you more enlightened fishers? (thats politically correct for
    fisherman)

Theres another reason for the dikes (side-cutters) on board.
    But thats another story, thus captain hook :D

5. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

20-1/2" is a great fish. Most people around here put in a lot of hours on the water and maybe only get 1 or 2 of those all year! Actually, I fished for a sickening amount of time this year and the biggest one I caught in Ohio was 19". For central Ohio they don't get much bigger (well maybe in ponds)
    As for what to do when you hook a fish like that...What about eating it? I think bass are good to eat, and I am sure that I enjoy them at least as much as the turtle who is probably going to get him will :) I always release healthy bass, but I think people are way to concerned with trying to release them. Sometimes, they just aren't gonna make it.

6. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Great fish! Sometimes they die, that's all a part of fishing.

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Great job anth, man i have fished knox all yr havent boated one that big yet will probably hit knox in the morning

8. Thx fellas,
    the guy i met sed the people at grandpa's tackle box told him that the bigest fish around the marina was 24in this year. I was gona take a pic but i forgot all about the camera in the tackle box in the car. :D

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

That may be the 6lb my buddy caught up there has nice pic on his wall fish still in the lake somewere grampas weighed it for him

10. I also carry a number of pliers that serve to remove hooks. I always try to release fish as quickly as possible. If you can get the barb of the hook exposed, but can't get the hook out without causing more damage take a long pair of wire cutters and cut the hook at the barb. Then you can back the hook out without the barb, and thus not damage the fish further. If you can't get the barb at all, just leave it in there as it was stated. In the lung, a tough one. If it bled much I doubt he made it. I could be wrong. Hopefully am. Great fish, just happens at times. I get pretty upset with myself when I do it, but I know you, me, and others don't set out to do that.

My big fish of the year came at Clear Fork durning a club tourney, 4.38 lbs. I didn't measure it. It went straight to the livewell.

Eric

11. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

been itching to hit knox was on it today in the light rain from 8am until noon nothing not even a hit had the whole dam end of the lake to myself though.

12. I fished P.Hill Lake this afternoon and did pretty well on saugeye's,as did guys in two other boats.I started fishing at around 1:30PM,and quit at 4:30PM,it was raining pretty much the whole time out,from light drizzle,to hard rain.I basically worked the big point out in front of the lodge with Vib-e's,all silver was the hot one today,but I did take a couple on a white/red pattern.All told,I caught 5 keepers(and I kept them)ranging from 20" down to 16",I also caught 4 dinks,and a couple big white bass,and 1 smallie that went 15".Two guys in one of the boats I talked to caught 10 nice saugeye's,and one guy in another boat caught 4 nice fish.As far as I know,they all were using Vib-e's also,or at least blades.Most of the fish hit pretty aggressively,usually after pulling it up and letting it settle back down,they would hit it when I left it motionless after the fall.A couple fish totally engulfed it,very aggressive.Other than the driving rain,it was a pretty good day.

13. I meant to put that report on a new thread,oh well,the rain must have seeped into my brain!

14. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

good job river walker.