close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Know a GOOD mechanic near Eastlake?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bigwalleye, Jun 12, 2007.

1. I must have the worst luck. I lost about a month last year due to a carb problem on my 9.9 Johnson kicker that was mis-diagnosed and now I have a new problem (or two?).

Last two times out trolling, we set-up, troll for about 45-60 minutes and then the kicker just quits. No coughing or wheezing, just off, like you turned the key off. It starts back up, put it in gear, runs about 10 mins, then same thing.

So, I take some time to troubleshoot today, looking for the obvious problems: loose wires/fuel lines/etc. Starts right up, runs, I find nothing amiss. So, I check the plugs, gapped them, put em back in, start up to ensure everything is a-OK again, and now it's not 'p*ssing'! I was running it in a clean garbage can, ensuring the coolant/water intakes were covered. I turned it off immediately, tried it again, hoping my eyes deceived me, but no coolant stream.

Anyways, I don't have time to troubleshoot it between work days, so looking for GOOD mechanic recommendations. I normally take it to Boating Headquarters in Grand River, but he's backed up for 2 weeks. Any recommendations (based on personal experience) in the Eastlake area? Sima Marine? South Shore? Borac's? Anyone, anyone? Bueller...Bueller...

I swear I'm cursed...

2. Replace the water pump impeller.

3. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

Good news is your not cursed. Also as impellars go there pretty easy. I replace mine when needed. If you have any skills at all, you can do it.

4. I dunno, I still think I'm a little cursed.

Since I now have two issues, one related to the impeller/cooling stream, and the other related to the shutting down, I think I'm going to let a professional work on it. I believe you need to remove the lower unit to get to the impeller, and I'd rather not screw that up and spend more time and money in the shop. I do appreciate the encouragement and replies nonetheless!

5. Champion188 Elite

Champion188 Elite Smallie slayer

Motor is getting hot and shutting itself down. I've saw this happen more than once on these small outboards. I would change the impellar(not too hard) and see if that fixes both problems. I bet it does.

6. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

bigwalleye,
    I just had one of my engines (150 Merc EFI) in to Sima Marine in Eastlake earlier this Spring. They were very fair with me, and the problem, which was not fixable by three other marinas, was diagnosed and SOLVED finally. :D I recommend Sima. Unfortunately, you will most likely have a wait, at this time of year. Give 'em a call.

By the way, I had two engines (25hp and 10hp) that shut down just like champion said-- they were both Johnsons , and they both had the problem on the very same day, bad water pumps. What's the odds???

Workdog

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

thats my guess. good call champion188

8. thanks for that feedback re: Sima and your experiences with Johnsons. I'll see what the wait time is at Sima. They are right down the street from where I keep the boat, so that would be convenient. I'll let y'all know how it turns out....

9. Update: took it to Boating Headquarters. BH replaced the impeller, said the cooling line was 'off center' or something. They adjusted line, and replaced the impeller for about $180. They did not fix my stalling problem...guessing that the impeller caused the overheating and the stalling situation.

Got out on Thursday and after 45-60 mins, kicker just quits again. At wits end, I decide to change the ignition module (connects to ignition coil) back to the original ignition module that came on the engine. I had changed this last year when Parma Marine mis-diagnosed the problem as an ignition problem when in fact the carb was clogged. In summary, the kicker works like a champ, now. Fished several hours afterwards on Thursday, and 3 hours on Saturday with no issues.

Basically, I bought a brand new part (ignition module) to replace an old part (that wasn't the problem) and found the new part was faulty. I got it from a dealer/service on Long Island, NY who I THOUGHT was doing me a favor by overnighting it to me when Parma couldn't find the part. Now I'll see if I can't get some kind of refund from them...

In the meantime, I feel like the curse has been lifted since my wife caught/released her first fish ohio walleye over the weekend and now I can get out on the water and contribute to the reports again. Plus I made my first 'on the water' repair and we were able to continue fishing.