Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started to get into steelheading. About to pick up a 10.5ft UL noodle rod for next season and was wondering what everyone thinks the best knot to use for flouro leaders was? I've been using a surgeons knot to attach 8lb main mono to 6 or 4 lb flouro. Wasn't sure what the strength of the knot was and I got some break off's and wasn't sure if that was why. Well, my inability to keep the rod bent didn't help at all, but wondering if there is a better knot I can use.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I use a double uni knot (at least I think that's what it's called). I rarely have breakoffs with it and it's very easy to tie.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Regardless of what knot you use, make sure that you wet the floro portion of the line before you tighten it down. The tightening of the knot with floro causes a lot of heat and will reduce the strength of that portion of line. When over/near water, dip the section to tighten underwater for a few seconds before tightening, or spit on it when not on the water.

I use a double trilene knot (very close to Archman's double uni) when not in a hurry. Otherwise (usually on the water), I'll use the blood or surgeons knot.

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
I use a double uni knot (at least I think that's what it's called). I rarely have breakoffs with it and it's very easy to tie.
Archman...that is what I use too...mono to mono, braided to flouro, etc...have never had a break off, even with big Salmon...I probably jynxed myself though!

·
Registered
839 Posts
try the seaguar knot. Once you learn it, it is simple, fast and strong! It is easy to tie in low light too. Just make sure you moisten the line before cinching it down, make sure it is tied correctly- so practice a little at home before you are on the water to save time. Try this link.

http://www.charkbait.com/article/Palomar_Seaguar_knots.htm

its the florocarbon selection, plays in windows media player

1 - 12 of 12 Posts