Knot funny

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by WhoolyBugger, Nov 24, 2008.

1. WhoolyBugger

WhoolyBugger grateful thread

When attaching tippet to leader, which knot is best- double surgeon, blood knot, barrel swivel instead of a knot? Also which knot is knot advised......
    I'm knot feeling well:confused: :confused: :confused:

PS this is regarding steelhead setups...

2. I've always used a blood knot.

3. I use a double surgeons & haven't yet had a knot failure. It's an easy & fast knot to tie as well.
    Mike

4. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

5. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

when nymphing for steelhead i use a straight peice of 15lb flouro for my "leader" clinch it to a barrel swivel and clinch the tippet to the other side of the barrel swivel. Eliminates line twist and when your line breaks it always breaks at the swivel so your rig is still very much intact. If you are worried about the fish seeing the swivel just look a half an inch up to your split shot and be relieved that you are just adding a little more weight. If i am using a tapered leader for swinging streamers i pretty much always use a double surgeons knot pretty much because it is just easier to tie and at least as strong as the blood knot.

6. Blood knot when warm and the double surgeons in the winter. The double surgeons is bulky and picks up weeds and alge.

7. Double Uniknot easy to tye in the blistering cold!

8. WhoolyBugger

WhoolyBugger grateful thread

Very helpful Gents......Thanks a lot. Time to practice now!

9. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

10. I have that same tool Fishaholic69 and love it. Easy to use and carry.

11. Fishaholic69

12. :D :D :D :D :D Have that one too!! I have clipped to vest and mainly use it to hold the tippet when I change flys. In the winter I do use it to tie knots if I spin fish. Also use it to do nail knots.

13. Fishaholic69

ya I got so much tools and stuff clipped on to my chest pack I am surprised I can even put it on and make it out the door to fish! lol