close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

KitchenAid Mixer - Sausage Grinder Attachments

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by cheezemm2, Nov 16, 2017.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Anyone have any experience with making sausage from their wife's KitchenAid mixer? I think I'm asking for one for Xmas. Boy, she's going to love me when I get raw meat all over this thing.

I'm going to start making my own 5-10lb batches of hot beef sticks (please share recipes if you got em'!

2. I have used mine for that in the past and it works fine. Now i just take my venison to the butcher for grinding and packaging. When I want to make a batch I just purchased ground pork and mix by hand. Easier cleanup.

Tinknocker1 likes this.

3. i had one they do work even though they seem a bit of a gimmick ... i have ground deer,beef pork,turkey ,chicken ,mushrooms ,nut's ect ect ... for grinding meat in small batches cut your cubes small and freeze them for a short while then grind it .. not my choice of grinders by no means but they do work .... i burned the motor up in mine mixing coon paste bait ...not grinding but mixing ... good machine for normal kitchen use ..

4. I agree, they work. But a real PIA. Mine is in a box somewhere.

Tinknocker1 likes this.
  5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

They work just fine for up to 10 lbs. of grinding and stuffing. You just need to be mindful of the motor temp.
    If it gets warm/hot walk away for 10-15 minutes while it cools.
    I started out using a kitchen aid and it still works fine as a mixer/blender. I've since acquired a dedicated grinder and stuffer...a K/A works great in a pinch.

6. Stuffing snack stick casings with any grinder is a PITA. You'll want a stuffer.

crappiedude and bobk like this.
  7. ^^^^ This!

only way I'd try and use a grinder for stuffing is if it had a foot control pedal to turn it off and on.

Once you start grinding you're own meat, you'll be hooked.. I haven't purchased store ground burger in years. You can try using the KA but in the long run, you'll be happier with dedicated grinder and separate stuffer.

8. Every few years I make a bunch of sausage - around New year's when the stores have pork on sale. I grind and stuff 20 to 30 lbs with my wife's KitchenAid.....never an issue

9. steven miller

steven miller Stevo 56

I'm

10. steven miller

steven miller Stevo 56

That's toy. Get a real grinder

11. steven miller

steven miller Stevo 56

Should have read "That's a toy". Get a real grinder" that's made to grind meat, not mix up muffin batter

boatnut likes this.
  12. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Re-read my post since you didn't get the point. I do have a grinder and separate stuffer.
    But that was not the original question. SMH...!

13. steven miller

steven miller Stevo 56

14. steven miller

steven miller Stevo 56

Got it. Sorry if I offended you. Wasn't my intention.

15. Cabelas had a 5 hr special today with a Cabelas #5 grinder normally $99.99 for $39.99. 400 Watt motor....

16. Muddy

Muddy

I have a commercial grade grinder and a kitchen Aid grinder attachment. When I grind an entire deer (or two) I use the commercial grade grinder. It is heavy and hard to move, and takes longer to clean up, but it grinds an entire deer in a few minutes. If I'm just grinding part of a deer, say one quarter, I use the Kitchen Aid sometimes. The grind with the kitchen Aid is not as consistent as with the commercial grade grinder, but clean up is a breeze.

17. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

years ago when I first started processing my own deer I when out and bought the grinder attachment, then I went over and borrowed my mothers kitchen aid to grind my deer up. well it didn't go as planned, I burned up her mixer using the grinder attachment. I not only had to go buy a grinder to finish my processing, I also had to go buy a new mixer for my mother. she's gone now and I got that mixer, where is the grinder attachment? don't know, don't care..

fastwater likes this.
  18. I would recommend checking out con Yeager spice company. They are located in New castle pa but they can ship anywhere. They have everything you need for jerky, sausage, meat sticks, and every kind of seasoning imaginable. They have all the casings you may need. I personally like there hillbilly blend for jerky and I use a combination of hot pepper.seasoning with the pepper seasoning with the meat sticks. The hot pepper is pretty hot so I don't use a lot of it. I would also highly recommend a sausage stuffer.

19. steven miller

steven miller Stevo 56

Both Cabelas & LEM have great products.
    1st Cabelas grinder, 20 some years ago, had plastic gears. 3/4 hp. Gave out and I bought a new one. 1 hp, and about 60#. Metal gears
    Its a brute, but a PIA, tough to clean

boatnut likes this.