close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kiser????

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by midoh39, Aug 2, 2007.

1. midoh39

midoh39 member

I was out at Kiser this morning and took the canoe. Here's my question me and my mom can easily find the small stripers with no problem, but we can find anything like catfish or wipers. The last 2 times we were out we caught maybe 28 stripers between us 3 catfish and 1 wiper. We caught all on chicken livers. Where would we find the bigger fish and what bait to us for them. Anything will help

2. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

try around the dam fishing back out into the lake, and at the rocky point just off the first parking lot....I have fished the lake many times and to honestly tell you the truth, I have never caught a big wiper just the smaller ones up to about 18"-20" around 4lbs....but we always use shrimp on the bottom casting from both spots into the "channel" that runs through there... caught some whopper channels that way...but if you have access to the private beach area there is where most of the big channels come from

3. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

Jeez...I can't stand it.

OK, FK...I give up. Where exactly is this "private beach" area of the lake and what smartaleck told ya you couldn't fish there???

4. LOL! There is NO " Private beach area " the lake, and surrounding land is public state owned property. I've fished every inch of that lake in the 15 years ive been on it. Im with Wiperswiper.. If theres a private beach, I must have missed it lol

5. Flathead King 06

sorry you guys...I was always told when I was younger there was a private camping area with a beach... which you could only fish if you lived/camping there...didnt mean to misguide anyone or provide false info...sorry bout that

6. I wish if you guys were going to give out exact spots you would do it in private. I know this is a forum to help but come on.... I used to love fishing The GMR in troy and now you can not even find a place to get your line in sometimes. Coincidence (I dont think So)!! I agree there is no private beach area at Kiser lake.. What are you guys talking about???? whoo.... do I feel better!!! Sorry for venting im stuck at work and wish i was fishing.

7. Flathead King 06

hey brad...not to bust anyones chops...but this whole topic (posting exact locations) was hashed out in a different thread just a few days ago...and it is up to the poster as to whether they post exact locations or not...not trying to start an arguement, and I respect your opinion....but im just helping everyone out...sorry

8. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

Awww...shucks, Flathead. I was REALLY hoping for a Friday giggle, but ya turned it to a snipe hunting story...oh well.

BTW--there is no "channel" in Kiser. Yes, it's deeper in the area you described but the actual creek exited the valley on the opposite side, in-line with the valve structure. It's really kinda shallow directly in front of the spillway (5'-6').

midoh39, the big wipers roam the lake in a wolf pack. I search for active ones with either a rattle trap or husky jerk depending on the time of year. If you ever see them busting shad on top (and we're getting to that time of year), sneak up on them (I'm serious, they spook easy) and cast the biggest nightcrawler ya got hung about 2' under a bobber.

9. Well, actually there IS a channel that runs through Kiser lake. That stream is how kiser was formed.. in the early 40's they built up around it and put up a flood gate , and on the other side they dredged out where the creek originally ran. 3 years later that area filled with water, and they removed the flood barrier to form what we now know as the spillway. It use to be an old farm house where Kiser lake is ( It was owned by a fellow named John Kiser ). He donated the land to the DNR ( which they turned into kiser lake ). in the middle of the lake between the " T pier ", and the grandview heights area there is still a big brick wall / foundation, and a fence line as well.

10. I think the private beach is located under the bridge below the spillway....at least that's what those two teenagers thought that I walked up on while going for some bait.

11. lol.. under the spillway its just runnoff from the lake that forms a creek.

12. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

Have you seen the kiser lake slide. It looks like a dam but it is actually a slide. I use to take my tube and slide on it all the time. Lots of fun (lol) That is the only way you can get to the private beach. Kinda like a magical slide that takes you to another world (like the tubes in mario world. I think the private beach is level 8-1 maybe don't quote me on that one.:D You can get to the luxury beach if you take a 12 footer on the slide. That is a special code i found on a special website. :p

(This post is not intended to poke fun at anyone I want to make that clear since all of this junk is happening about spots while fishing just some good ol redneck fun. There is no slide at kiser it is the dam and I do not go over it!!! Do not go over it as it will possible kill you or cause serious damage. DON'T DO IT.)

King I went over to melvin this am to walk the dog and the carp were going crazy in there. I think i might have to rig up and go over and catch a couple. If your ever over this way drop me a pm and we could go get some fish.

13. mkd

mkd

try the private beach area

14. if its private who do i ask for permission? i will be camping at kiser lake labor day weekend

15. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

There is not a private beach. Just some good ol fishing tales and some good fun:p

16. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

Sheesh...where to start.

First off...do not slide the spillway! I know you were kidding 247, but let me tell you a true story about a man who did. Years ago, when the Lodge was in full swing (and driving the State crazy) a bar fight broke out that sent one man into the water to escape the carnage. Well, ole Paul (God rest his soul) swam towards 235 and ended up in the spillway. Somehow, he decided sliding over it was the best way out. Even though it's moss coated, Paul learned (the hard way) that re-wire and bar protrude through the concrete and he got cut to ribbons. Don't know if it's rusted off after 40 years...but I wouldn't want to find out!

XL506, you talk alot...however, you haven't a clue. Learn, first hand, what's out there and then get back to me. I'm still waiting for all that information from Bryon about the crappie stockings. lol

I have covered ever inch of the lake with a depth finder...there is no "channel". Yes, I can tell where the old Mosquito crick bed ran...but the depth changes are suttle (less than 1'). Prior to impounment, there existed a shallow, pad filled "lake" called (what else) Mosquito lake. The surrounding area was mostly farm land. I'll have to check the history, but as I recall, the Kiser's only donated part of what is today the park and the State purchased the rest.

There is definately a house and barn foundation out there, and it is very easy to see with a depth finder. When the water's clear, you can see the house foundation from above the water. Problem is...it ain't no where near the area you described. The foundations are not the "rosetta stone" to fishing Kiser so I don't mind mentioning them. However, there is a feature associated with the foundations that is...well...I'll shut-up now.

You keep looking. Most of the fun is in the hunt. IF you ever figure it out...be a good steward. Dam lake's only 400 acres and fragile. Weeds, stripers, waders, the ranger, and the internet ain't doing it any favors. Until it's dredged...I believe I'm enjoying it's twilight years.

17. Wiper, where do you get your information. Look up history of the lake, and then apologize to me. You talk even more than I. You fish the lake, Im sure.. But you obviously know nothing about the lake. The average depth around the channel is 10ft. and the actual channel depth is 13-15ft. So yeah, 1ft? no. As, for the crappie stockings. If you knew about the lake you would know its true, as people in the previous post stated even they knew. Check with an authorite on the matter. Im tired of you chiming in to provide all this FALSE " knowledge. Im sure you not making it up, Im sure someone has told you all this stuff. But you need to actually RESEARCH the lake, as I have, and still do. Go back, and look at articles on the lake during building. Im not even going to go on anymore, Im coming off as a jerk, and I don't mean to be. But, there are things i KNOW about the lake. Arguing with you is getting tiring, and boring. So, you can post what you want.. But, I KNOW this lake all so well.. Im out

18. Flathead King 06

hey guys...no need to bash it out...just look at the map the DNR provides off its website...Wiper Swiper...not to say what you're saying isnt true, but clearly there is a "stream channel" as they call it that runs through the lake, so maybe you need to do some research, same for me...come on I thought there was a private beach on Kiser...and where I gave those two locations...you can cast out and fish into the "channel"....as for XL506...dude its a public forum, people can post anything they want as long as it falls within rule guidelines...but yes everyone needs to get their facts straight before posting misguiding information...anyways...I better shush before one of the mods step in and close the thread...but hopefully we can still be men about the situation and respect each other and their opinions

here is the map

[​IMG]

19. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

hehehehe...boys, nothing in your posts disproves the several items of contention that I've pointed out. King, your map charts the old stream paths (and it's real close), but it shows NO depth changes or a "channel" where the streams ran. It is incorrect on two points. The orginal entrance and exit of mosquito creek is wrong, and there is actually more 12'-13' of water than the map shows. At least maybe XL506 will be able to see that there is NO 15' "channel" anywhere in the lake...but, I doubt it. He seems kinda hardheaded.

XL506, no one has told me anything. What I've posted I know as fact from first hand experience. You're wrong about the crappie stockings, you're wrong about the location of the foundations, you're wrong about the existance of a "channel", you're wrong about the max. depth, you're wrong about what was originally impounded...heck, come to think of it... you even challenged me about catching a smallmouth! (Yeah, I've got a picture)

I reallly have no desire to educate you. You're not ready. I do take exception to your sending others on a wild goose chase for something that's not there. And, I will continue to point out your errors in the same public forum that you continue to post them in.

Now, I've got answer a PM to a young man that I do think is ready and I thank you for helping me to see the difference between someone like him and someone like you.

Good luck with your "knowledge".

20. lol, this is hilarious. You know from first hand LOL. Crappie WERE stocked in the lake.. Are you being serious lmao.. no 15ft marks in the channel?.. no channel? LOL. wow. You dont know anything from first hand. And I did NOT say you did not catch a smallmouth in Kiser, I said I have never caught one or seen on caught. Why do you insist on having the last ( wrong ) word. I have PERSONALLY found steady 15ft marks that were clearly channels. I wish someone else here knew the history of kiser, and would tell you there IS a channel.. Crappie WERE stocked, and the old barn foundation is VERY close to the T peir.. You crack me up.. Im done with this post. As far as everyone reading, they can chose to believe whichever. But, if they get the facts, and contact DNR about crappie stockings in Kiser. They will see that my facts are FACTS, and yours are.. well, just talk.