close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kiser Cats

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by missingND, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Spent the night at Kiser and not even a bit till 4am then 2 small stripers. Around 5 until sunrise the cats came and went I got 4 from 1.5-5# then nothing till I left around 8. Only fished with liver but three other guys nearby were using blood bait with no luck unless you count the frog the caught. Saw alot of peoples lights anybody do anygood?

2. Sure those stripers weren't Wipers?

I haven't gotten over there for a while. A buddy of mine at work always fished kiser,but is on his 5th month of a 6th month house arrest sentence, LOL. That screwed his fishing season up bigtime!

3. Tin Guppy

Tin Guppy CJ Wolfpack

Saugmon they were probably stipers the state started stocking them in 2005.I caught 1 ice fishing about 12 inches long.

4. Has the lake cleand up at all .The last time I went there to lake was a mess . Ended up with 4 small fish. The kids had a good time on the playground

5. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

missing,

If the striper/wiper fish you caught were under 3 or 4 pounds, they were definately male stripers. Unless the wipers reproduced...they haven't been stocked since '04. Lotsa heresay on what's actually going on, but best information I've gathered is they went from stocking 18,000 advanced wiper fingerlings annually to 40,000 male striper fingerlings annually. How they sex the fry is beyond me...how they plan on implementing effiecient harvest of the reared male brood stock is beyond me...hell...the wisdom of the whole initiative is beyond me.

The mess in the lake is the curly pond weed. Transplanted by the State via the Indian Lake pad combine, it continues to choke most small bays and flats out to depths of 8'. Word was they were going to spray it and it did seem to die back about a month ago...same thing happened last year at the same time...I'm not sure if it's herbicide or the plants normal cycle but I do know it's not dying completely...anywhere.

Don't worry though, the ranger continues to cut down 50 year old shoreline trees in a prepetual effort to give you more access to catch them planted stripers. The man knows his baliwick. Hell's fire...he accelerated the drainage in a protected fen meadow and no one blinked...he's a real blessing for the resource.

Now, before any state boys jump on me for being too critical of their management...yes, I understand there's no real cooperation between the dept. of natural resources and the division of wildlife.

6. fishinking

fishinking G0 Bucks!

Now, before any state boys jump on me for being too critical of their management...yes, I understand there's no real cooperation between the dept. of natural resources and the division of wildlife.

Very well said, thats not the first time I've heard this. Never been to the
    lake your speaking of but have seen similar happenings else where. You would think "they" (department of natural resources and the division of wildlife) would be under the same umbrella so to speak.....:S :S :S

7. That's easy. The stripers with brains are the males!!

Sorry fishingals,couldn't resist that one, LOL.

8. They put up a small sign on west end boat ramp. Worded it to technical for me to rember but the jest was that they be treating the lake on or about the 13th and drinking water would be efected? I guess they mean the springs around the lake. Yes the lake looks bad with the weeds but actually appears like one of the healthier lakes in the area. Lots of golden shiners, frogs, turtles, snakes, shad and other minnows. Can't hardly walk any part of shorline without seeing something moving.

9. midoh39

midoh39 member

I have a canoe does anyone think its worth giving wipers a try?

10. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

They are under the same umbrella, the Division of Wildlife is PART of the Department of Natural Resources!