close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kinsman/Orangville

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by streamstalker, Jun 5, 2008.

1. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I live in Columbus and I'm going to be visiting the folks in PA over the weekend, and I'm looking for some out-of-the-way places to put in a kayak and fish for some bass/anything. Google Earth shows some interesting looking tail waters of Shenango lake over by Orangeville, and then there is some interesting looking swamp (Vernon Swamp?) on the way to Kinsman.

Anyone have any experiences with this territory?

Any info on access or whether or not it's fishable would be appreciated.

2. Yeah streamstalker the orangevill river in pa is a pretty good place to fish, i dont know as much as for bass but for crappie and white bass if they are running.

3. stormfront

stormfront Guest

was there sunday, it was slow. just remember, when you are below the dam at orangeville, you are in pennsylvania. there is a huge swamp north of rt 87 (part of the shenango wildlife area). not sure if the eagles are still nesting there, but if not, you can go quite a way up north. believe (have been told) there is one portage over an old beaver dam. however, the skeeters have got to be really bad this time of year.

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i deer hunt the area north of orangeville. if you put in at mulligan east, it will take you down to the dam in orangeville in a few hours(thats all ohio waters). there are some pretty deep holes on that run. do not waste your time trying to go north of mulligan east. the portages will kill you and the mosquitos will too. if it were me, id just fish PA below the dam in orangeville to the lake.

5. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Thanks for the info everyone. Very helpful...especially the mosquito part. I'll bet the deer flies are murder too!

Yeah, I know Orangeville is on the border, but I buy a PA license every year--$50 bucks and I usually use it no more than three days. I remember crossing the line to the Orangeville tavern to have a drink when PA was 21 and OH was 18.

6. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Use that PA license a little more. Come over to shenango lake and hammer some crappies. Good shore fishing all around the lake and it's easy access too. Bring your boat and fish the deeper dropoffs for eyes and stripers. Some really nice fish in this lake.

7. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I used to catch 16 inch crappie in the no-motor zone of Shenango back in the 80s. I caught a couple of 14 inchers by accident in the tailwaters going toward Greenville last year. I spooked the biggest fish I ever heard below Big Bend last year too.....I'm going back after that one this year.