close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

King crab legs

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Row v. Wade, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Tops has them on sale this week for $7.99 a pound. Best price I've seen in a couple of years.

Quickest way to cook them.

Wrap 3 claws at a time in a damp paper towel, then wrap in plastic wrap. Place wrapped claws in microwave 1 package at a time and cook on high for 2 minutes.

Have your butter or ghee ready cuz that's all there is to it.

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Acme has them for $8.99 lb. I ate a couple lbs last night. Still suffering from butter overload.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have been going to the chineese buffet the last few months. all you can eat crab legs,mussels 4 kinds of shrimp and frog legs just to name a few delights that they have there.

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

most of the buffets have snow crab. Just as good, just more work for the same about of food ;).

5. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

sorry guys..those pre-frozen buffet snow crab legs are not quite the "good eats". there are alot of water inside them to me.. i like to buy mine from a reputable sellers in town and cook them myself..

6. crappielooker, "Good eats"....Alton Browns show on the food network is where I first heard of doing the king crabs legs in the microwave. I was very leery to try it because of the price of the king. Bar far, the easiest, and best way to cook them.
    Brown doesn't do any other crab legs (snow, dungeness) in the nuker. They don't turn out to be "good eats". Just "The King" baby.

7. the buffet.
    when I go, I get a bowl full of butter and a plate full of crab legs :D

8. duckman

duckman Dr Data

It depends on how much i am doing .... but usually its for a big crowd 12+... So we use the turkey fryer with a basket as a steamer... You can do 6-8 pounds at a time .... or my favorite 3-6 dozen blue crab

never re-steam as it will just get mushy .... IF there are left overs we put them on the grill while we grill or chicken or tuna just to get them hot .... they stay nice an crisp this way

9. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i bought a steamer years ago and since then i've never had crab legs any place but home.a little crab boil in the water and some old bay seasoning on the legs and steam then eat.real easy.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i haven't tried nuking them,but the best way i've found is to double wrap in foil and put them on the grill,over medium heat.turn a couple times till done.keeps all that salt water flavor in,and they'll for sure put a :) on your face.
    sounds like the mic. might work similarly.

crappielooker,you're right about the buffet legs,but when i go,i wait for a fresh batch from the kitchen.i also get first dibs on the claws that way :D most of the time the reason they're waterlogged is from laying in that pan on the table too long.

11. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

I think they do the water log thing on purpose...
    1. they taste shitty
    2. they fill you up with all that water weight

Must be a big end of the year clearance on those king legs cause Kroger had them on sale as well.