close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kind of dumb question...

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by soua0363, Oct 4, 2007.

1. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

If you buy a boat that has an alternator on a motor, is everything hooked up already to where it will charge the cranking battery and the trolling battery when the motor is running? Or would you still have to buy a separate isolator/charger to divert the charge to the batteries?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the starting battery will charge off the motor,but for te trolling motor,you need a charger.i think you can buy switches to do the job from the motor,but a charger is the best route.besides,when the boat sits all winter,the charge on the main battery should be maintained,which would require a charger.i would never depend solely on my motor for keeping batteries charged.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

it should charge them both if they are hooked up that way. mine has a 4 position switch and i have charged an almost dead battery running the main motor with the switch in the "1&2" position.

of course it will take longer.

4. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

Thank you for the clarifications. I was just curious because I was hoping it would work like it would in a car. I am trying to educate myself on these things so I can maybe make a bigger boat purchase next year. Again, thank you!

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Check out this site. www.stayncharge.com I've been running one on my trolling battery for 4 years now. I get a very good charge on my battery. Check out the big unit too.

6. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

I use a 2 position battery switch from Perko. I just switch back and forth every once in a while to keep them charged. I never use the "both" position as it can burn up your alternator with too much draw.

7. ezbite

not trying to start anything, i disagree:) . i run mine in the both position alot and have had zero issues. please explain your statement, i dont want to be doing anything thats going to do any kind of damage. ive never heard anything saying NOT to run like that. if it is bad why do they have the "both" position. again, im not trying to argue here, just asking, so if it is bad for the alternator i will quit doing it .:)

8. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

At an idle, the alternator would not be able to charge my 2 deep cycle trolling batteries. At higher rpm's that may be possible, but on mine, it will actually strain the electrical system. (Granted, my boat is a '74) If it works for you and it is a newer boat, the alternator more than likely has a higher output than mine.

BTW, you aren't starting anything, if you don't agree with my statements, please question. What kind of discussion forum would this be if we didn't?

9. ezbite

thanks, mines a 95, maybe thats why it seems to be ok when i do this?