Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any herbicides that will kill ONLY clover. Have two big stands of japanese blood grass and the clover is taking over for some reason this year. Is there anything out there that will not kill the blood grass and other ground covers but will kill the clover

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
There must be because when they weed and feed my lawn they kill everything except for the grass itself and the clover goes with it.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
2,4D is the herbicide used in the weed n feed things. It's a broadleaf specific herbicide. I used it a lot in hay fields and pastures, and you have to REALLY hit clover hard to kill it. The normal rate usually only sets it back a bit, but it always comes back to life. Any "weed" herbicide you find at the hardware store or even is Walmart 2,4D, a pint of concentrate should be more than enough for your yard.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
The amount sprayed probably plays a big part. When I spray fields I'm just shooting to get 2-3 drops per leaf and mix it to use a specific amount per acre. Probably easier to get better leaf coverage by hand, and more leaf coverage means more herbicide in the plant.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I add just a tick of Stinger to the 2,4-D when I spray, that's the only thing I can get to kill the residual Red/June clover in my yard. Straight 2,4-D will knock it down but will not kill it at our place

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blood grass is decorative not a turf grass that is why I'm trying to find something that would specifically target just the clover. I always just use Ortho spray on the lawn but am afraid it would kill the blood grass. Maybe I'll do a test spot with some of the stuff mentioned

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Bloodgrass is still a grass species, so you should be fine. Still never a bad idea to do a test spot, just keep it off if any other broadleaf type plants that you don’t want affected. The granular works well for that, but it can be harder to get complete coverage with it.
If you look up all the brand names mentioned here, you’ll notice the active ingredient in all of them is 2,4D. For a small patch of clover, a small bottle of generic is all you should need.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'll have to up my ratio...instructions on the stuff I have says 1oz per gallon of water...doesn't seem to do the job well enough...does better on hotter days, seems they soak the moisture in quicker...thanks all for the good read.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Triplet or Trimec apply it 1 time then 14 days later do it again to get the left over clover. just follow label instructions for clover. 2,4D lacks some of chemicals to kill clover completely.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Triplet or Trimec apply it 1 time then 14 days later do it again to get the left over clover. just follow label instructions for clover. 2,4D lacks some of chemicals to kill clover completely.
Agree, trimec will do much better on clover. Adding a surfactant will also help a lot. It’s a tough weed to kill.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I switched to Dicamba products to kill clover. Much better than 2-4d. However, it can be very unstable in humid conditions. It shouldn't hurt any grasses but I would check with a agronomist or chemical dealer to double check about a ornamental grass.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Agree, trimec will do much better on clover. Adding a surfactant will also help a lot. It’s a tough weed to kill.
Any particular brand of that Trimec? Some are super expensive, but seem to have a higher percentage of active ingredients.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Any particular brand of that Trimec? Some are super expensive, but seem to have a higher percentage of active ingredients.
You get what ya pay for!! Don't skimp on triplet or trimec. Get full strength and kill it instead of wounding it. Just mix it to the strong side and wipe it on if you have to. I pay about $90 for a 2.5 gal jug at a local ag coop.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You get what ya pay for!! Don't skimp on triplet or trimec. Get full strength and kill it instead of wounding it. Just mix it to the strong side and wipe it on if you have to. I pay about $90 for a 2.5 gal jug at a local ag coop.
Yes...that's always in the back of the brain...I don't have a lot of clover...just a few small patches...trying to keep them under control and keep them from spreading too much.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts