close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kids Fishing!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bassn317, May 30, 2004.

1. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

I'm not sure where this belongs but I'll put it here and you can move it where it needs to go.

The District 3 Kids Ponds are open again this year!!!!!!
    My son and I were at North Reservoir today and seen they were open. My son spent 4 summers every Saturday, Sunday, and Holiday from the time they opened until they chased him out at night. This place is great for kids 15 and under. They stock the ponds, they have bait, and cane poles (or bring all your own stuff) Each kid is aloud to keep 1 fish per day. These are BIG fish usually, but not as big as the eyes and smiles on the little ones faces. They used to have bass, cats, trout (for awhile), walleye, saugeye 20-22", gills, crappie, and carp.

Big Daddy you need to do a story here. We need to keep this place open year after year. The always talk of closing it, but man it's awesome for the kids.

My son is 19 now, but he had to go in and check all the ponds and dream of days gone by. He really loved it there. Sain he seen some big bass and gills as well as the many carp that they caught numerous times each. He even caught a Northern, gar, mirror carp, a few 22-24" saugeyes, and a few 27-28" cats during his years there.

Please spread the word and take a young one tovisit some day.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

No problem putting it here. Spread the word. Thanks for the information.

3. Did do a story there last weekend. It ran on Monday on TV 23@6:30. It also ran on TV 3 at 11pm.

Every year, the ODNR allows the Summit Sportsmans Association to hold a Big Brothers/Sisters Take a Kid Fishing event. I did the story on them. It was a BLAST by the way. Great event held at a great place to teach kids fishing and get them interested.

BTW, there are pix of the event in my galley, and ODNR also used the pix on their website promoting the ponds, with my permission.

Thanks for getting the word out again on it. Can't have too many remiders of the resource!!!

Carl

4. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Saturday my bass club had a free kids fishing tournament there. It was great. There were about 175 kids, about 100 door prizes, trophies, and free lunch. The kids were catching them so fast it kept us busy recording the fish and taking them off the hook. I saw a 18 and a half pound carp caught, some bass up to 14" and 2 11 inch 1 pound bluegill. I lost track of how many fish ohios that were caught. There were also some nice cats and a few trout caught. This is a little late, but Vic's Sports Center had the whole event on their tv show last night. If you've never taken your kids there it is a must. Very nice place.

5. I agree it is a must for anyone who is taking their kids fishing. I just found out about it last year and I use it to keep my kids interested in fishing. We will go and hit several lakes in the area, so that I have a shot at something a little bigger and if the fish aren't biting we end up at the ponds. That way they remember catching fish the next time I want to take them fishing. Although my son did ask me last year why we don't just start at the ponds. Uh-Oh he may be onto me.