Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Merc Pro 9.9 kicker on my 2013 Lund. For the last month or two, occasionally when I attempt to start it act’s like the battery doesn’t have enough juice to start it. It barely turns over.
I cleaned the battery connections and no change. The battery is good.
Any thoughts?
Al

·
Registered
66 Posts
Best case might be the grease has hardened in the solenoid. Clean it up, regrease, good to go. U-tube is your friend but always watch at least 3 videos IMO.

Edit - thinking about it, barely turns over points to the starter, the intermittent part... I'm assuming you know the battery is good because it starts the main motor. If not, it would be good to know how you know the battery is good. IDK, there are plenty of guys that know more than me, prob should keep my mouth shut. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
had a simalier issue with my 90 merc, i took the starter off cleaned up with tuner spray put a little dry silicone spray on the gear and shaft and its stii goin . did have to replace solenoid once you know that click click sound lol makes your butt pucker hahaha

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Al, I'd probably replace the solenoid to see if the intermittent cranking issue resolves itself. The internal contacts could be the culprit. If the problem persists after that the starter is the next consideration. The armature contacts might need cleaned. Outboard starters can get a significant amount of accumulated crud in the lower end cap with the brushes. Normally this makes the starter 'squeak' a bit when cranking the motor over, since the bushings get really dry. I prefer to use a light amount of moly grease on the armature bushings & white lithium grease on the helix gear of the starter drive. It's pretty uncommon for an armature to develop a dead spot on the commutator. A good rebuilder will have a growler to check for this. I'll bet if you replace the solenoid & give the starter a good cleaning & lube your problem will be fixed. Mike

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Al, I'd probably replace the solenoid to see if the intermittent cranking issue resolves itself. The internal contacts could be the culprit. If the problem persists after that the starter is the next consideration. The armature contacts might need cleaned. Outboard starters can get a significant amount of accumulated crud in the lower end cap with the brushes. Normally this makes the starter 'squeak' a bit when cranking the motor over, since the bushings get really dry. I prefer to use a light amount of moly grease on the armature bushings & white lithium grease on the helix gear of the starter drive. It's pretty uncommon for an armature to develop a dead spot on the commutator. A good rebuilder will have a growler to check for this. I'll bet if you replace the solenoid & give the starter a good cleaning & lube your problem will be fixed. Mike
Thanks Mike

Cleaned ground and positive contacts to the solenoid today. I’ll check it tomorrow although they looked good to me.
Guessing a new solenoid is probably in my future. With the way the wind is looking on the Big lake I’ll have time this week.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Soooo… I cleaned the contacts on the ground and positive to the solenoid. Put the muffs on and it fired right up. The connections didn’t seem loose, just not tight…
At any rate, it starts. The apparent clue to bad connections was that it was an intermittent issue.
Thanks to all for your suggestions. See you on the water!
Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts