Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking to get a kicker motor on my 19' aluminum. ? is would a
4 hp be enough or should I go with a 10 hp. My 101 terrova will pull me at around 3.5 mph on a calm day.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Go with the 10. Not only will you get better performance trolling (likely longer shaft, etc) but it will be able to get you back if your main engine takes a dive.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,123 Posts
i have tested as small as a 5hp on my 18' alumacraft trophy. go for the larger motor as the smaller will have to run at a higher rpm and will not give you as broad a trolling speed range. there is not much difference in the overall weight between the motors either...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go with the 10 I have a 7.5 short shaft on a movable kicker plate for my 19.5 crestliner. Pushing OK but labors a little

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have a 5hp and a 9.9. Last year I had a battery issue 16 miles out of bula and had to come in on my 5hp. While it worked well for trolling our top speed was 4.3 mph. Thank god it was flat. And I also own a spectrum 20ft. It was the longest 4 hour boat ride I've been on. I would have much rather had a 9.9 on.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
i had a 8 hp on my 21 foot wellcraft glass boat and it moves it just fine. i had to come in on it the other day and it got me around 5mph.

if i were you i would go with the bigger motor but would hesitate to try to find a good condition used 6-8hp motor for it

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a 19 ft Lund Pro V with a Mercury 6hp 2 stroke kicker that will get me to 5.3 mph loaded. A buddy of mine has a 17 ft Pro V with a 9.9 merc 4 stroke and his pushes him along at 6.2 mph. That extra mph cost him about $1500 more dollars.

·
Registered
500 Posts
We have a merc 2 stroke 9.9 kicker on our 17.5 fisher pushes us perfectly. Although we haven't had it on the big pond yet we have used it as a main a few times during the spring crappie bite when we had main motor issues an was down.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My setup is a 9.9 Evinrude, with a Terrova 101 to fine tune and steer.

The best thing about the 9.9 2-strokes is that parts are cheap and plentiful, the design has been around since the mid-70's, and unless you are running straight gas in your main tank (I pre-mix for my 140HP 2-stroke), then you don't need a spare gas can on the boat for the kicker. If you are running VRO, then you would have to think 4-stroke, OR, an extra gas can. 4-strokes are complex, NOT cheap for parts replacement, more maintenance, and although quieter, they are higher overall long term cost.

Just my 2 cents.

(I have a Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special 19.5' boat)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I bought a brand new tohatsu 9.9 last year and it has been great on my 18 tracker targa. Sips fuel, quiet, and all the features of the merc at a fraction of the cost (they make the mercs up to 40 hp)

·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info guys, I saw a 4 hp 4-stroke for sale, thought it would be enough, but flylogic reminded me of bula when I got in some chop with my 90hp it took me a hour to get back, best go with the 10. Thanks again!

·
Registered
227 Posts
talked to a guy from Iowa last night, hes got a 2005 9.9 merc with power tilt , steering cables, elect start.... the motor is in storage in Marblehead/Port Clinton area. I have seen it, its in good shape, but I already bought a 8hp yammy

·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
flylogic/husky, are those 4-strokes? I already have the plumbing set up, and don't feel like carrying a extra tank for a 2 cycle. PM me some prices or info.

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,172 Posts
I run the 15hp Etec HO on my Starcraft 2050STX along with a Terrova 101 w/Ipilot. it is a sweet set up. The HO is a DFI 2 stroke, you will get approx. 400hrs out of the quart tank for the oil, and no smoke. Mine is a tiller model and has a bump switch to raise and lower the RPM's by 50 with each press of the switch, real nice for dialing in the speed. It also has a big alternator that keeps the battery charged, with enough left over to charge the troll batteries as well, cuts way down on charge time between trips. Well worth a look. Just my .02 worth

1 - 19 of 19 Posts