close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kicker prop question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by SwollenGoat, Jun 20, 2007.

1. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I am using a 9.9hp 2 stroke Nissan as a kicker on my 17' Fisher Deep-V. The Nissan has the stock 3 blade prop and I am wondering if i would notice a big improvement going to a 4 blade prop. Has anyone else had run into this situation and switched props and found that it helped a great deal?

I am looking at this one from Solas:
    http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0031313017666a.shtml

*I often fish 10hp restricted lakes and while trolling isn't a problem I am having difficulty maneuvering tight spaces like the docks etc. when only using the 9.9. (Handles like a barge.)

Also, I feel like the prop is "slipping" at high rpm's since it is not pushing the Fisher nearly as fast as it did the basstracker. I'm not really worried too much about top end, but I'd like to see if I can find a solution to improve maneuvering at slow speeds - short of buying a new Yamaha high thrust 8hp or 9.9hp. :D

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

excellent question swollengoat. i have been kicking around getting a 4 blade for the kicked too, i just want to make sure its worth the $100.00 to do it. i heard you get better thrust?? whatever that means.

3. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

a 4 blade with a lower pitch will give you more thrust and keep you at a better more consistant speeds, if you troll into the waves this is where the prop will shine it will give you better grab at the water and keep your speed and direction better due to it having more grip on the water it's pushing, most "kicker" motors now days come with a very flat 4 blade like the Mercury 9.9 pro kicker and Yamaha T-8. I believe 6 and 8 pitch are the norm but could be wrong I don't know a ton about props

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i saw merc's at the boat show that actually had "kicker" painted or stickered (one of the 2) on them with the 4 blade flat prop. these were new motors. they are making/selling them with the props.

5. SwollenGoat

Exactly, I realize compared to dropping $2k+ on a new high thrust kicker $100 for a new prop is peanuts. But, I was hoping someone would chime in to say that the difference would be "very significant".

Yes, I've been doing some reading this morning - as I was fairly un-informed as prop specs go. Looks like the 4 blade prop does give more low-end torque - but also reduces your top end (theoretically). I am just wondering what effects the 4 blade would have on my motor? Again, my motor is a 2-stroke with less torque and revs higher than the newer 4-strokes. I'm not sure if the 4 blade will increase or decrease my rpms? Should I be concerned if this is going to lug or over-rev the motor?

So many questions...:D

6. SwollenGoat

Right! Both Mercury and Yamaha advertise "high-torque" motors that use gear reduction and larger props. A friend I fish with has the Yamaha 8hp high torque on his boat. That thing has a huge 14" prop! :eek: You definately feel the difference in forward and reverse, though probably not as fast on the top end as a 2-stroke 8hp. But again, when you're talking motors under 10hp, speed isn't really the issue.

Just found some more info for my motor:
    http://www.boat-props.com/propeller...id=320&session_id=792998337&cart_id=918066520

http://www.boat-props.com/propeller...id=320&session_id=792998337&cart_id=918066520

Looks like I have a choice of a 9-1/4", 9-pitch prop or a 10" 7-pitch prop.
    Both are the same price, but I wonder which would be the best choice?

7. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

A friend of mine has a 9.9 2 stroke and he went to a larger diameter 4 blade prop and he just said it workds great, you should have no problems with your RPM its only used for trolling, you will for sure lose on your top end speed but will have awesome trolling speed and thrust, call a dealer and pick there brain if your unsure how it will effect the motor, I would image little to none as it's only running at 1/4 to half throttle if that.

8. SwollenGoat

Yeah, I figured trolling wouldn't be the main issue, but on a 10hp restricted lake (like Hoover) it will be my main mode of power moving from spot to spot. The 90hp has to stay parked. :D

Oh well, looks like I'll have to bolt it on to really see how it does. I think I will take your suggestion and call a marina and see what they say about the general differences in a 3-blade vs. a 4-blade prop on a kicker.

9. If your primary use is Inland Lakes then stick with the 3 blade. If primary is Erie or Big Water, then go 4 blade. Either way you are not going to see more than a couple MPH difference. Had a 3 on my 18 foot and got 7.5mph. 4 gives me 6mph but better speed control.gave me

10. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Or just carry a prop wrench with you and switch them out depending on where or how you will be fishing, only takes a second to swap a prop out. I believe this to be your ideal situation best of both worlds IMO