Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It's all about the doin'
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most guys that are running boats on Lake Erie use their kicker motors to troll or solely as an emergency back-up to their big motors ?

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Both reasons, plus more.

Second means of getting back to the dock, should the main motor go south.

Keep the hours (sometimes 8-10 a day) off the main motor.

Get lower speeds than most main motors are capable of reaching.

Troll all day on a gallon and a half of gas.

Looks really cool on the back of the boat going down the highway.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm just guessing, but I estimate a lot more than twice the miles per gallon running the kicker.

15+ knot winds and trolling is a real treat. Get distracted for one minute and all the lines are tangled into birds nests.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
Both reasons, plus more.

Second means of getting back to the dock, should the main motor go south.

Keep the hours (sometimes 8-10 a day) off the main motor.

Get lower speeds than most main motors are capable of reaching.

Troll all day on a gallon and a half of gas.

Looks really cool on the back of the boat going down the highway.
What he said! Especially the last one :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don't take any chance's. I WONT go out unless both my main (115hp.) & kicker (20hp.) are working 100% at the dock. It gives me peace of mind. I use the kicker for just that reason TROLLING, but I know that in a pinch, I can use it & get me scooting at a fairley decent clip if my main goes out.

Having a Lund Tyee 1850 just did'nt give me the confidence in a 9hp., not enough speed & power in a pinch.

Nik

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I trolled on Erie with my Lowe FM175 and 90 Optimax on saturday with 1-2' waves and two drift socks. Without the socks and with the wind, I would have been going over 2.5 mph, worthless for worm harnesses. Against the wind /waves, I struggle with steering and speed control. I really believe that better speed control brings more fish to the boat.

The only thing keeping me from a pro kicker is 3 kids in college bought boat last year. I'll have one next year. I also agree with Hetfield who I passed on I-80 saturday (two motors do look better than one!).

One additional advantage for kicker: When I go up to Canadian lakes full of rocks and shoals, I'd like to have a kicker to stroll around in unfamiliar or dngerous water, troll, and save the skeg on the bigger more expensive motor. Back-up motor is ideal when overnight stay in woods would lead to death by mosquito bites.

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
My 4 stroke kicker sure is a nice, quiet & fuel efficient way to troll. I could even hear members of my last crew snoring when things slowed down last week.

Fortunately, I only have had to use a kicker one time due to big motor breakdown and that was a fairly small lake in Canada. It was better than attempting to paddle back to camp.....

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
As has been stated...trolling first and secondary propulsion in a pinch. My main get's 2 mpg at cruise and the kicker will run up to 8 hours on 2-1/2 gallons. I had normally averaged 100-120 hours on the main motor every year. Now I'm at 30 hours a year.

And yes, they do look cool rolling down the road...! :D

·
Fish against the fish...
1,110 Posts
same as HnB - use the I/O to cruise us out to the fish - then kicker for hours and hours for less that $10 a trip. Makes the boat look like a fishin machine.

Used the kicker to get us back to the marina this past memorial day when our carb died and left us stranded at the crib. Have seatow as a third backup plan so we're never stranded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts