close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kicker Motor Advice.

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Hook N Book, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Okay, up until now, I couldn't justify the cost but with the current and projected prices of fuel, I've convinced myself a Kicker is in order. I'm thinking a Mercury Pro-kicker (9.9) will do the job but I'm open to suggestions in getting this done. I have a few questions regarding what I'm thinking of doing.
    1) Would a Troll Master work with this setup (I'll be checking their site)???
    2) Should I also have an additional trottle and key start installed in the Helm area???
    3) What kind of Max. speed can I expect pushing 6,500+ lbs. in normal conditions???
    4) Where's a good place to have the work done at a reasonable cost???

Feel free to post suggestions or PM me with your input.

Thanks

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Pro Kicker or Yammy T-8 would do the job.

Troll Master is a must, even with remote controls.

Having remote start and controls is exceptionally nice, unless you enjoy leaning over the transom to start it and kick it into gear. However, it does add a nice chunk of coin to the project.

Not sure on speed, but I'm seeing more and more bigger boats with kickers on them. My Pro Kicker will push my rig at just about 6 1/2 mph.

I figure my boat weighs about 2500# with a full tank and gear.

My boat is usually a lot heavier at the end of the day. I imagine the weight of yours is about the same at the end of the day as it was in the morning.:D

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

There goes one vote for Angler of the year for you Het:D

4. Hook N Book

Is there anyway to rescind my vote for AOTY...! :D

On a serious note, Het, I appeciate the input. I know you have the Master Troll, I check their site and they have 3 different models for the controller. They're saying that you can also steer with them...but I'm thinking since I have a sport pilot already a linkage system would work off the main.
    I was at Basspro earlier this afternoon and they had a 2007 model Merc at a really good price. I'm just in the early stages at this point but I have to make this happen if I going to maintain my addiction...;)
    I'm thinking the helm controls are a no-brainer, but I've be accused of the opposite...:D

Again, thanks

5. Hook N Book

You beat me to it, Dale. Now, let him really earn the title...! :D

Btw...Does he get a tiara for all of his hard work...! :eek::rolleyes::D

6. Het would look really good in a Tiara.

We'll be looking to get a kicker motor next year too, for a Canadian 1850, which I imagine will weigh about the same as Het's Lund. Can a 4-stroke kicker be plumbed right into the main fuel supply?

7. Hook N Book

Only if it's done with a nice Walleye insignia...:D

Yes it can be. That's part of the beauty of it...no separate tank and mixing.

8. I don't like the clutter from the extra set of controls but I will admit they are nice. I have the Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker electric start tiller which I am very pleased with. I think the 9.9 will do it on your boat but you will be throttled up with all that weight. Like Het, I get 6.5 to 7 mph out of mine.

9. Hook N Book

Shortdrift, Let me ask this. With the extra set of controls you can obviously get to max. trottle but from what I've read the Troll master will only get you to 70%. This is one of the trade offs, I believe that points to getting the helm setup. What do you think?
    Also, I'm still not sure about the steering thing. Anyone have the troll master with steering capability setup...???

10. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I've never seen the Troll Master steering system. As far as the 70% full throttle is concerned on the Troll Master units, that is overidden once you advance your tiller and/or remote throttle, ie: you can still get 100% throttle with your kicker even with the TM on.

I think the three different models you're talking about is the analog vs digital Troll Master.

11. Hook N Book

12. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I read it, and still don't know what it does. It says it's a steering 'switch', whatever that is.

All of the Troll Masters have a control box with 25' feet af cable on them.

13. Hook N Book

Right, Het...! Look at the picture to the left in the link...It has a different controller than the 3 listed. I'm guessing the extra functions are for steering. I asking about the steering since some kind of linkage would be required if this unit doesn't control the kicker steering. An EZsteer would be the option if my thinking is correct and this unit doesn't do what I'm hoping for.
    I sent an email to them asking a few questions about that particular unit. Maybe I'll get some info next week sometime. I'll post what I find out.

Thanks, Again

14. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Give them a call. Bill, the owner, has answered the phone every time I've called them. He is always more than happy to answer any questions.

And happy new year, by the way. See you in the spring.

15. "I was at Basspro earlier this afternoon and they had a 2007 model Merc at a really good price."

A friend mentioned that alot of smaller mercs are being built in CHINA now. Just makes you wonder!

16. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

From what I understand, Tohatsu makes all Nissan outboard motors, and also supplies the powerheads for some of Mercury's smaller outboards.

17. Hook N Book

I talked to Bill at Troll Master today and he informed me that the "Troll Master- Pro 3" has an interface that is compatable with some of the after market steering devices like Panther and a few others. It's a 25 amp interface that allows for Right and Left steering. His price was less than Cabelas too ($40). Unfortuately, this won't work for me...it's intended for an outboard as the main engine.
    He also stated he had a boat approx. the same size/weight with the T-8 kicker and it would push it roughy 6 mph and use about 6 gallons of fuel from dusk to dawn...that's good news. ;)

18. Just think about all the pizza you can buy with the money you save on gas.:rolleyes: :D :D

19. Hook N Book

And Hennesey too...! :D

20. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

*Don't forget that Yammy also added the T9.9 last year for a little more "oomph" than the T8.

I think you'll be happy with either the Yammy or the Merc, and surprised how much push those tiny motors actually give.