Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2007 Merc 9.9 4-stroke kicker. It gives me trouble getting starter to kick in when turning key. I think I here it “click” but starter does not spin. I suspect poor electrical connection. I just keep trying it till it connects. I have not pulled and cleaned connections yet, but intend to. Just wondering if any of you have had same issue and what you found. I have basic electric system knowledge and tools, meters. Thanks-

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
My money is on Battery or Solenoid,leaning more towards Solenoid.....it does get plenty of spray back there and it is 14yrs old...my 2 cent's

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took cowl off tonight. It has pretty tight seal. No corrosion. Determined where power cable connects. Starter gear and solenoid move freely. Lubricated it anyway with Blaster silicone lube. When turn key I get 3 different levels of “click”, soft, crisp, and louder. Kept keying till clicked and engaged. Repeat repeat repeat got better but still not right. I will remove and clean battery cables over the weekend. See if that helps.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
after ya clean and check things out try jumping the solenoid, if she works then you have an idea where to go next. just a note....marine solenoids are different than say like a mower or car, they are internally grounded so things dont blow up ....

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cleaned both battery terminals and all connectors on them. Them cleaned negative terminal connections on motor. Starter engages immediately when key turned to start. Glad that problem is solved. Filled Opti oil reservoir. Need to organize tackle a bit and find time to fish before freeze up. Thanks. Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts