close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kicked out of East Harbor marina today!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishpro, May 9, 2004.

1. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

How many of you have ever been kicked off STATE property before? Well, it happened to me today. I was at the marina at East Harbor state park crappie fishing just like I`ve done hundreds of times, fishing the east wall of the marina. I was walking along shore casting a jig when these two guys walked by and asked how the fishing was, then they moved on. A short while later, one of them returned and said there was no fishing in the marina anymore and told me to leave, well, he did not introduce himself as a park employee, nor did he have anything on his clothes to confirm it either, so I thought he was nuts and ignored him.Soon after I was greeted by one of the Park Rangers and he told me I had to leave also and why I didn`t follow the employee`s request, thats when I explained to him that my tax dollars and fishing and hunting license fees PAYS for this area, so I have the right to be there! So, He goes on to basically blow off what I just said to him and stands his ground and orders me off the property! By this time I`m PISSED, and gave the ranger and the employee both a piece of my mind with some choice words that won`t be repeated here! Tomorrow, I`m going to the head of the park personally, plus, I`ll be sending a message to the DNR and the Govenors office! :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

fishpro, that really bites i wouldn,t let it die either, let me know how it gos. :cool:

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Wow, sounds like your course of action is the right one, and if you get no satisfaction as a result please PM me as I am interested and can take additional action on your behalf!

4. Fishpro

Thanks Capt., Its been a bad year for me this year, used to be, I could go into just about ANY marina up here and fish for crappie and bass, but this year, I`ve been run out of every marina that I`ve fished, and being thrown out of PUBLIC access is the LAST STRAW!!!!! I make it a point not to fish docks with boats in them and I ALWAYS pick up after myself. Try to set a good example for us "outdoor" types and I still get kicked in the teeth!

5. heh heh....know the feeling.....wanna buy a golf cart!!!!!!!!!!!! MWCD SUCKS~~!!!

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Do they rent those docks out ?? Maybe they don't want folks in there, sort of like at a campground, even though public, only the campers can use the grills, even the empty sites....
    I don't know, I'm just speculating. Probably similar reasoning & for security of course.
    I know Cowan Lake has state owned docks that have a locked gate, if you rent one, you get a key.

7. Fishpro

I`m sure it was about the boats, or should I say the boat owners, but like I said, I`ve fished down there for years and nobody has ever said a word to me. God, I need to get a boat!!

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I dont even fish there and that makes me mad!

9. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

I tried to ramp there a couple years ago because some one told me it was ok after labor day, when I stopped at the check in station and tried to tell them why I was there they started yelling about how it wasn't open the public and I better leave right now or they was calling the ranger, Ijust left the idiot, plenty of other ramps and marinas to fish, Get a boat Fishpro, that way you can join a whole new fight, with all the marina owners! Fishin's fun?

10. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Fish,

Were you on the docks, or just on the wall w/o being on any docks?

Let me know what you find out. I'll give them a piece of my mind also.

11. mrfishohio

tpet96 Here's his quote. I've never been there. Maybe there's been problems with people getting into the boats?

12. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Mr Fish......I'm more concerned of the docks WITHOUT boats...that's why I was asking. You can't fish from any of the docks reguardless of boats or not. That is why I asked.

13. Fishpro

Shawn, I was fishing the wall. There were five or six other people there sitting along the wall just bobber fishing and they were run out too. My point being, if we fisherman arn`t allowed to fish the marina anymore, then I say the shouldn`t get any more tax dollars or license funds to run that or any other state marina where you can`t fish. I think that it (the operating cost) should lie on the shoulders of the dock renters.

14. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

That sucks Paul....i think we need to plan a outing and show up in force.

Mitch

15. Fishpro

Sounds good to me Mitch. I`m going out there this afternoon, prolly get thrown in jail!! :)

16. mrfishohio

What it will cost you to go to jail will make a down payment on a boat.......

17. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Pro,

I would give the park manager a call. Here is the contact info:

Park Office (419) 734-4424 Park Office
    Camp Office (419) 734-5857
    Marina (419) 734-2289

Actually, you might want to go there to speak with the manager. I think her name is Ida? Can't remember now :( I know the secretary is Debbie. I had a couple of meetings with them early on in the year. I confronted them about the problems we had with our outing last year with the rangers, and they were VERY good to clear things up with us. One thing to remember is keep a level head, even if you were to get a "not so wanted" answer. If you blow your top, it will get you knowwhere when you go to her superior :)

18. Fishpro

Thanks Shawn. I was kidding about the jail thing, I`ll keep my cool. I`m going to give them a call and see if I can set up a meeting with her.

19. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Thats really strange they told you to get off state property.. hope ya get it straightened out.

20. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Paul,

If you don't get any answers from them, shoot me a PM.