close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kentucky Lake

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by ohioskeeter, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Going to Kentucky Lake next weekend. Any ideas on the type of line and test? Also, any good baits to use for both smallies and largemouth.

2. jigger69

jigger69 Bambi slayer

setup a rod for carolina rigging,get some zoom wtr melon candy brush hogs and some spike-it dip in chartreuse to dip the tails in,and some 3.5in. coffee colored tubes,and some baby paca craws texas rigged always good

3. I heard a lot of fisherman tryin to get this weekend tournaments cancelled due to the forecast.I hate to see them fish up here in early april if their cryin about a liitle snow. I think I have fished with snow on the boat deck 3 years straight.Hopefully will be awesome weather for you next weekend. Tear them up.Jerkbaits clown color.

4. TAG24

TAG24 Member

Please let us know how your trip goes. I'm heading down there later next month.

5. Going down April 16th, so I'd be interested in hearing how you did, and what worked, too!!

It'll be my first trip down there, so I'm clueless on what to take.

6. I was down there 3 years ago about this time. I did the best with black finesse tubes and jerkbaits. The jerkbaits took the majority of the fish, and it did'nt seem to make much differance on color, we caught them on a variety of colors. The tubes took thier fair share of them back in the bigger creeks on steeper banks.

7. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

We whacked em down there last year this time. Caught fish on crankbaits, jigs, shakey head and spinnerbaits. Little of everything!

[​IMG]

8. I'll be sure to post all information. Does anybody have a suggestion on test line? I will be using fluorocarbon and with what I'm reading, deep water ledge fishing may be required. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ohioskeeter:D

9. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Your question depends 100% on the technique you are using.

For jigs/tubes 15-20lb fluoro will work fine.

For shallow cranks 10 - 12 lb mono. For deep cranks, 10-12lb fluoro.

For spinnerbaits, 12-14 lb mono

For any finesse technique, 8lb fluoro.

10. redhawk, why did you steal my post honestly, c'mon man:D . if i had one thing to bring this time of year, 15lb line, flippin stick, and a handful of jigs, some light stuff for the fish that want a slow fall and a few 3/4-1once for deep work. but they always can move shallow fast this time of year so i would also recommend a rod with 12lb for cranks and spinnerbaits, but i like 10 more if its just cranks.
    goodluck i hope you pound them down there please tell us how you do

11. I have been there 2 times in early April. Find the clearest creeks you can and hit them hard with Rogues, this has been deadly in the past. Stay out of the shade and work areas of sun all day. Of course both times I was there the weather was warm, if there is a cold front my advice will not help.

12. I'll be down the 27th-30th. Hope to get in on some of the action. I've been to Kentucky/Barkley 3 times, but always in the fall. Hopefully it warms up down there. I'll post the results.

13. I heard there was a moratorium on all bass fishing on Kentucky Lake the end of this month...is that when you are going Fishn4five???

Better call the officials first!

nip
    www.dobass.com

:D

14. guess i'll just have to go catfishing and drink beer. i need to get out of ne ohio. lets take a detour on our way back from nashville this weekend. break in the new merc. i'll gear up tonight.

15. F4F- I'll be there the same weekend. I usually fish for crappie though. Lake needs to warm up a little. I think it's still in the 40s.

16. Had a great time. What a wonderful lake. I would love to live near Kentucky Lake. If you are going down in the next week or so, stay on the points throwing rattle traps (crawdad,rootbeer 1/2 oz.). If you like slower fishing 3/8to 1/2 jigs in green pumpkin. Here is some honest information that will help you. Stay in Kentucky, don't waste time in Barkley. Stay on points and don't waste time fishing coves or running up and down the lake. Stay focused and you will catch them on the points. The best points seem toward the south end of the lake near the 64 bridge. Not sure how things will work in April, most of the locals do similiar things in April getting ready for spawn. And honestly, don't waste time fishing a tournament unless you can beat the locals. They are awesome and hard to beat. Good luck!!

Ohioskeeter:)

17. thanks ohioskeeter. hopefully the rain doesnt muddy up the water too much. i read barkley is muddy, kentucky is stained. i was hoping to spend some time on barkley but if it stays muddy i'll have to run to kentucky. did you fish the lower end of kentucky at all?

18. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a great time. What a wonderful lake. I would love to live near Kentucky Lake. If you are going down in the next week or so, stay on the points throwing rattle traps (crawdad,rootbeer 1/2 oz.). If you like slower fishing 3/8to 1/2 jigs in green pumpkin. Here is some honest information that will help you. Stay in Kentucky, don't waste time in Barkley. Stay on points and don't waste time fishing coves or running up and down the lake. Stay focused and you will catch them on the points. The best points seem toward the south end of the lake near the 64 bridge. Not sure how things will work in April, most of the locals do similiar things in April getting ready for spawn. And honestly, don't waste time fishing a tournament unless you can beat the locals. They are awesome and hard to beat. Good luck!!

Ohioskeeter