close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kenmore Washing Machine Repair???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by crankus_maximus, Apr 25, 2005.

1. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I have a newer generation (about 5-6 years old) Kenmore Washing Machine that quit spinning and agitatiting. It makes a funny noise like it wants to turn but can't or is turning but just not engaging. I have completed some dryer repairs, but never washing machines.

1. Does anybody know how to tear one of these down? I can't seem to get the panels off to get to the motor/belts and other moving parts. So far I have it tilted forward with bottom up.

2. Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong? I already thought of a bad belt. I've heard some of these things have trannies that can go wrong or a coupler mount.

Thanks guys. I'm in beantown for the next couple of days, but laundry is starting pile up and the wife is starting to get irritated at the lack of "cleaning power."

P.S. I can take pics of the machine and post if it would help.

2. crankus_maximus

Thanks. I was looking at that website last night after I first attempted the teardown. I'll have to look at it again.

3. There is a small plastic spacer that joins the agitator to the motor. This is what just broke on my parents washer that was about 10 years old. It is a very cheap part. I was told by the repair man that They go every 5-10 years, and when he showed me the part I could see why. It isnt really more than a couple silver dollars stacked together of plastic taking all that stress to join the two together.

4. It sounds to me like the dogs are worn out. Remove the agitator, they're in there somewhere. It's been a while since I had to fix mine. Only cost me a few bucks, but had to wait on the parts. They look something like this and made of a soft plastic type material. I called the hotline and they talked me through what to look for.

Attached Files:

5. does it drain?if not a sock or something else could be caught in the pump..they quit using belts yrs ago..their direct drive now...they have really got flimsy since i used to fix em...

6. crankus_maximus

It does pump water in and out.

What hotline did you call? That website's? I have a feeling it could be something in the transmission or driveline that is bad as it makes this really funky noise but does not turn. I'll find out on Thursday. I can't work on it until then.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not looking forward to this one at all.

7. Try What Ashton Said...to Take The Cabinet Off Theres 2 Screws On The Top...1 Beneath The Timer The Other Same Area Other Side...

8. Weren't you an appliance repair man?? Why don't you make a service call??? LOLOLOLOL

9. crankus_maximus

Man, if that's how you take the canibet off, then I seriously overestimated what it akes to get it off. i tried to take the back panel off. What a pain in the rear that was. As Bill Engval says..."I'm just a guy!!!!"

10. ashtonmj hit it on the nose, that small plastic spacer shears right off. u can order a manual and its well worth the money because it shows how to get to the spacer which is real easy the way they do it. the way it looks is you take it all apart but you don't have to. me unmechanical and everything couldn't get the panel off or anything got the manual and had the old piece off and the new piece back in within an hour and back up and washing clothes. again well worth the money.

all thumbs

11. crankus_maximus

AGAIN - where did you get the manual? Am I missing something here?

12. I don't have the number here at work, but I'll get it tonight. Yours may be different than mine, or the problem may be different, but it sounds like it's doing the same thing mine was. There was no need to take the panel off on mine. I just had to take the agitator off and replace the dogs. The local Sears help department should be able to send you to the right place.

13. Here's the number to the Sears Service center: 1-800-469-4663

14. crankus_maximus

Thanks M. Magis. I get to tackle it Thursday. I will most definitely post my findings and instructions for the fix.

15. crankus_maximus

I called Sears and they said it is the timer, which runs $95. Ouch. I may try and get a second opinion. I was hoping it wouldn't cost that much to fix. Anyhow, just thought I would let you all know how it was going.

Later :(

16. Far be it from me to question the experts, but that just doesn't sound right to me. Maybe call again later and try to get another person. ;)

17. Sears Just Wanna Sell Parts..theres No Way You Can Diagnose It Over The Phone..chances Are Whoever You Talked To About Being The Timer Has Never Worked On A Washer...i Would Check The Coupler On The Mtr..they Brake Easy...i Did This For About 15 Yrs Before I Had To Give It Up...

18. crankus_maximus

I already called for a second opinion at Sears and they were clueless. This leads me to believe they don't know their head from a hole in the ground. I still need to figure out how to get to the coupler. My wife found a parts store in Columbus thaat maybe I can consult with. I'm not spending that much on this washer. I'll buy another one first.

19. Here's a thought. Take the agitator off and THEN try it. If the spindle turns, you know that's where your problem is, the connection between the two. Process of elimination.