close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ken Burns Viet Nam War Documentary TONIGHT PBS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snakecharmer, Sep 17, 2017.

1. i can't skip this series but it sure brings back my youth with numbing and hollow memories. 58000 of my peers gone and i still wonder for what? i've nothing but good thoughts about the men and women who served there but have little good to say about those who sent them there.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Those were some interesting articles in the Plain Dealer this weekend. It seems that there were a lot of cover ups and false information our nation's "leaders" were handing out back then. Wish I could say this has changed, but then we invaded Iraq to stop Hussien from using Weapons of Mass Destruction. Still haven't found any in Iraq! The more things change, the more they stay the same...

icebucketjohn, Tbomb55 and stormfront like this.

3. did anyone watch the legion of Brothers on CNN last night?

4. So today I learned Richard Nixon committed treason among his other sins. _ hole.

fastwater and stormfront like this.
  5. The end for Nixon was so much better then he deserved...

Tbomb55, icebucketjohn and stormfront like this.
  6. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Watched tonight's episodes because basically everyone in my Family is watching.

Rest assured - Richard Nixon is currently burning in hell.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    icebucketjohn and fastwater like this.
  7. I know...he just didn't get there fast enough!

icebucketjohn, stormfront and acklac7 like this.
  8. Nixon is the one who brought me home thank god if kennedy or LBJ were there then wed still be there!!!!!! So he did do some things right

Northern Reb and bobk like this.
  9. I was going though Basic Training as a draftee and on Aug 23,1972 Nixon gave his acceptance speech to run again in 1972. He promised he would not send anymore draftees to Vietnam. I looked at the guys who enlisted for 3 or 4 years and said guess where your 1st assignment is going to be......Many were promised 18 months in Germany but it never said whether it would be the 1st assignment or their last assignment....

stormfront and fastwater like this.
  10. Reminds me of the Bush era, when criticizing the ultimately disastrous war in Iraq, for instance, was conflated with criticizing the troops. It was not criticizing the troops, it was criticizing government policy that put them in harms way without justification or proper planning.

bdawg likes this.
  11. Remind me what was disastrous about Desert Storm?

A coalition of 30 plus countries, clearly stated goals and objectives, and a battle that was so decisive it only lasted 100 hrs. Against the worlds 4th largest military if memory serves correct.

If you think one of the most successful military battle plans the world has ever seen was disastrous then your definition of disaster and poor planning is much different than mine.

icebucketjohn and Snakecharmer like this.
  12. i believe he is talking of the invasion of iraq in 2003. different war, different decade.

13. I always wondered why we didn't take on the Republican Guard?

14. Maybe so, but the guy that ok'd the use of napalm and agent orange and didn't get out of it because he was concerned about the '64 election ought suffer the same consequence.

stormfront and Snakecharmer like this.
  15. I asked a few posts back if you served in the military. Since you didn't answer I'd have to assume you didn't.
    For some reason it seems as if you are pretty critical of the folks who walked before you while you yourself have not put anything of yourself on the line. It's easy I guess to sit back and just complain, it a lot tougher to go out and try to fix what's wrong. Sometimes when your ass is on the line the situation will look a lot different. If all you have to do is criticize it be comes chronic complaining (anyone remember the "whiners" on SNL). No one can change the past.
    This whole thread is about a reminder to watch a documentary about an era that is etched in the minds and hearts of a lot of families. Hell we who actually lived it, we know it was a mess. Being an armchair quarterback about the rights or wrongs of VN is a little late here.
    On another note....he thread isn't about God or the lack of God. IMO that is a personal opinion which is for each to decided for yourself, it doesn't belong here. If you believe it doesn't mean you're a good person, doesn't make you bad if you don't.

For me... I got home last night and saw I did in fact set the DVR to record the series. I can wait to watch it.

snag likes this.
  16. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Okay Gent's...let's keep it to the content of the documentary without the personal attacks and ragging on government officials.

Thanks

17. You don't know what you're talking about.

18. beaver

beaver swamp crawler

I'm a proud Marine, and I have to agree with Tbomb (I just gagged a little) on this. While I have much respect (as does he) for those who habe walked before me and signed that lone knowing what it may mean, we shouldn't be fighting in half of the wars we end up in.

However we go where were told. We don't ask questions. We fight for our brothers next to us and our families waiting at home, not the corruption and greed that places us in that situation.

JamesF and stormfront like this.
  19. Yep, got to agree with you and Tbomb on this.

fastwater and stormfront like this.
  20. JamesF

JamesF

Watched some of the show,knew the history all the way back to Eisenhower and the French,along with the Dutch! 68 to 72, two tours deep in in blood and guts and a stench that I will never forget!I was Not there for God, Country, or the Flag! I was there for my Brothers in harms way.My draft # was 63,and I knew That I was going to be drafted,my Mother worked the polls and I caught her one night watching over me and crying, because she already knew, that I was drafted! I joined the Navy and became an air rescue corpsman,Coronado beach was tough.Served with Marines in 3 corps and 4 corps,90 day's tad.Then on to air rescue off the coast of North Vietnam. To cover and rescue airmen from Alpha Strikes over Hanoi. Stirred up a a lot of old memories.During my four years I studied political science and what i learned just turned my stomach, knowing how little our leaders cared about the people who actually did their dirty work for them,and knowing that I was in fact,at one point an integral part of this.Ken does an excellent job! However Vietnam goes much farther back then the French.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    bdawg, fastwater, crappiedude and 4 others like this.