Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be on Kelly's Island for a few days next month, I was wondering where the best spot to fish from the island would be. Species doesn't matter, just looking to catch fish and have fun.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Cast the shorelines from dusk until any point into the night with your favorite crank, weapon, or jig combo - the fish move in tight to shore to feed at night.
If you can fish any docks and marina walls these areas will produce fish after dark also.

Sorry, I know this is very general info., but I have never stepped foot on Kelleys - been close enough in the boat to cast onto shore, but that is it.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
If your shore fishing, just fish where the Ferry comes in and out right at the dock, fish aren't stupid when that ferry comes in and loaded up people after the ferry leaves and the props start turning it stirs up the water and the fish go on a feeding frenzy from all the minnows, craws, and other baitfish getting pushed all over the place, I got some soft craws and hooked them with a couple split shots and just casted them out and let them sink or jig them off the bottom. We caught smallie and rock bass mostly but always a chance for catfish, sheephead :D and largemouth. There is also a few piers i have killed the white bass off of. I don't remember which one. If you have waders you can wade the rocky beach ares and cast rebel crawdads and you will catch smallies that way too. Lots of good fishing around the island, walleye at night will be abundant too, expecially this time of year, kelley's is loaded with fish all around the island.

·
fishing fool
370 Posts
Places to fish from shore have become very limited on Kelleys. Most places are private property and do not allow fishing. The earlier post was right about the ferry docks however fishing is no longer permitted there. There is public fishing from the rock jetty at the state park - it can be good for smallmouth at times but it's tough to climb around on and gets crowded. You'd be better off taking a boat - even a small one - and launching from the state park ramp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can have fun fishing Seaway Marina, I've seen nice gills, crappies and smallies pulled from the docks. My fish group has a house from june 1-8. Please stop by, I might be at the house[232 McGettigan]. should be fishing, Could be at the PUMP [happy hour 4-6], or maybe the Moon, Brew pub, West bay, or Winery. I'll watch for you , Good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I own a house on Kellys and fish it a lot. Shore fishing is OK. The old ferry dock produces as does the State Park boat basin. Pretty much any where you will cast a line in-you have a shot at something. Seaway marina does produce some fish. Walleye are available off the shorelines at night-particularly the south shoreline.

If you have a boat-even a 14 footer, you are talking a whole different game. The fishing opportunities go from just OK to terrific (especially the time of year youwill be there)!

Good Luck,

KI (Kellys Island) Jim

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
After reading this thread im going to go up with my bud and ferry his suv and 16.5 foot Lowe over and fish close to shore. They said it would be $98 total. IMO its worth it to not have to worry about being swamped on the big pond in a little boat with an inexperienced captain. I figure there has to be somewhere thats out of the wind for us to fish if its a little rough. We're dieing to get into some Erie smallies and this seems like the ticket.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes, there is a bait shop on the island. It is called Krafts and it is just East of the old ferry dock on the south shore 9about 1/2 mile west of downtown). It is a really bare bones-marginal shop with not much tackle. They do have worms and on occasion minnows. Best by far to bring over with you what you need.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts