Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my boat out on the big lake and had a successful day to boot. I was really suprised to see the waves and the wakes that my 16ft Tracker Pro-Guide DeepV w/60hp merc. ob.could handle. I normally fish inland waters like Tappan Seneca and Saltfork.

We launched out of Mazuric at 9:00am and headed for the lighthouse. Slowly at 5-7mph we made it there. No one around fishing only passing through. I wondered if these huge waves were the 1-2 footers that the forecast predicted. Probably not. Any body know how big the waves were on saturday around 11:00am? We fished anyway caught nothing.

Then I decided to get out of the direct path of these big waves coming from the N.E. that we should cut south and west and go take refuge around kellys Island. Good Decision.;) Waves were much smaller and we got on walleye at carpenters point. 26-30F.O.W. straight off the gravel barge dock. gold and chart Erie Dearies tip with 1" crawler.

Throughout the afternoon other boats came and went. We were the smallest craft there and that scared me some. at times there were as many as 20 boats within the area and we were all rocking pretty good. Only saw 1 boat with planer boards out. However the waves calmed down even more as 5:00 approached and at 5:30 we finished catching our limit 12 walleye 16-23" and headed in. The ride back across the south passage was uneventfull except for when I crossed the first part of the wake of a large boat and forgot about the other wake cause I was looking at the Gps. It soaked my dad but the console and windshield protected me.:D It was funny watching the drunks loading their boats at the Mazuric ramp. They were hootin and hollerin. Got our fish cleaned across the road from the ramp and kicked back for a three hour drive back to Coshocton county.

Spent
$3.00 for two dozen crawlers
$65.00 on gas in pickup
$7.00 in gas on boat
$10.00 fish cleaning

This trip was priceless for me30 and my dad70 we had been wanting to do this for the last 2 years I owned my boat. We just didn't take the time to go untill now. We caught over 30 fish total White Bass, Sheepshead and walleye. let 2 small eyes go. We had a blast.

If you have been waiting to go, get up and go now, this is the time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Me and 2 other guys worked N of Kelleys on Sat and got our 3 man limit with a couple of extra. We probably could have got our limits sooner but the waves kind of made it difficult in my friends 17 foot Mr Pike. Running back into the waves was difficult to go setup again. Most fish were 19-22 inches and very thick, much thicker than those being caught over west of the islands. We were in the 50 fow swath running 20 jets 80-120 back, more consistently 100-110. Most fish came on copper melon and copper hammered confusion, a few on a variety of purple lures and 2 on worm harnesses. Probably about 10 other junkers too. Speed was in the mid 2's. We also had 5 or 6 other pullbacks. I tell you what, sometimes running the big boards the fish don't pull the line of the clips, but almost all these fish RIPPED THEM OFF. Some off the best fighting walleye I have ever caught this time of year. I heard some guy on the radio say he had 4 over 30 inches too, but I kind of find that hard to believe. Get out there and get um, I sure will try working around my school schedule.

·
Team Bass Xtreme
271 Posts
I was up there this weekend too. We wacked 'em at Kelleys Friday and had another join us and he wanted to fish West Sister saturday. My buddy caught a 28 3/4", 9lber off of Kelley's!! Kingofthewater is definately right, the fish are much fatter at kelley's, however we limited saturday in 3 1/2 hours. We wacked 'em on ANYTHING GOLD...And they wanted it pretty fast we found. Good luck if you're heading up soon...BD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts