Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a week at the cottage on Kelly's. The weather and the fishing were both excellent for pretty much the entire week. Without going into a scorecard type report, here is what is happening in that area:

The walleye bite is very good. I had no trouble at all catching as many fish as I wanted in a couple hours. We were seeing a lot of the 2007 fish in the 15 1/2-16" range and as a bonus, a school of the 2003 fish moved into one of my favorite rockpiles. We were able to pull a dozen really nice 23-26" fish over 3 outings. All the fish I caught were via slow trolling (or fast drifting) with crawler harnesses and BBs. The fish are all over the place. Carpenters Point (SW corner of KI), Gull Shoal (N. of KI near Middle Island) were both productive and the area 4 miles E of the east end of KI Shoal was really hot for a couple days. Guys were catching them on whatever they were using-harnesses, weight forwards, body baits, reef runners, spoons-whatever.

The perch bite is very good also-except the fish are real small. The areas about a mile east of the island off the airport, north of the island off the state park and NW of the island all had a good bite-but small fish. I didn't even try for them (but a lot of folks were). I can't understand why they were sitting there in the hot sun catching 5-6" perch all day with 1 keeper in 10. The gulls were having a field day.

Catfish are in in huge numbers-and there are some real monsters. If you like cats, just move in close to a reef where it drops from 15 to 25 feet or so and you will have sore arms by the end of the day. They are swarming! One of my neighbors got a 18 lb channel cat (weighed and released) and another caught a 50 lb class (estimated) flathead (released) (I didn't know flatheads were in Erie!). Both of these fish were caught by some lady senior citizens (75-80 year olds!) while perchin with their hubbies.

The silver bass are schooling real nicely all over the place. Just wait until about 7:00 in the evening and look for the gulls. Last night, we went out for 'eyes, but the silvers were just too tempting and I broke out the light spinning tackle and small casting spoons. My 3 boys caught one after another until dark. We kept a dozen for dinner (tonite-they were tasty). Probably landed a hundred + fish 11-16" in under 2 hours. One interesting observation. It seems that the silver bass and white perch are starting to school up together. Through the week, when we were fishing white bass, our catch ratio was about 1-1 silver bass to 1 white perch. I have not seen this before. If you haven't taken your kids silver bass fishing, you arer missing out. It is the best kid pullage there is.

Smallmouth fishing has slowed. We only went out once and caught 2 (although they were very nice 20 & 23" fish!). Only a few guys were targeting them.

So, another week in paradise! Kellys really is a great place to spend some time. I'm heading back the week after next. Hopefully, the nicer sized perch will move in by them.

Jim

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Jim,
thanks for the report....sounds like you had a blast!!!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
The guy we were out with on Saturday said that a member of one of his charters pulled like a 8-10lb channel a couple days earlier and the week before that he had a guy get a 28" musky out there, both fish caught on spoons, I remember years ago being on a charter and a guy pulling like a 3lb blue cat up.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Nice job and a great report. Hoping to be out this friday, alot of good info to pass on there

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Thanks for the report. We are going up next wednesday-Sunday. We will be fishing out of Catawba.
ski

·
Rock On
40 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report, coming up from Cincy for one day of fishing friday, hopefully we'll have some luck.

·
fishing fool
370 Posts
KI Jim,
Good report. Thinking about coming up this weekend. Are there any walleyes around KI shoal or on the east side?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts