Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddies and I are coming out to Kelley Island from South Dakota. The wife is a Buckeye and keeps telling me the fishing's better in Ohio, so I'm coming to check it out! Planning on staying on Kelley Island and am looking for a clue on some hot spots, what lures to bring or buy there, and any other good advice you can give me. I'm pulling out my 17.5 Lund (I know, I know) and the GPS. We plan to head out 8th of May. Too late? or is the wife right when she says the walleye are ALWAYS there!?

·
Premium Member
10,880 Posts
You're wife is right, It's hard to beat Erie fishing anywhere.

You will be ale to catch bunches of walleye, perch and smallmouth very close to the Kelley's that time of year. Read the regulations closely, there is a closed season on smallmouth this year. You can still fish for them, but they must be released immediatly.

www.cliftond.com is a good informative site that has daily reports including techniques and locations along with some very good articles about how to fish Erie. I would suggest that you read as much as you can on Dean's site and then come back here and ask for some detailed help. The lures, presentations, locations can change daily on Erie. We'll help you all we can. You will catch a bunch of fish during your trip unless the weather messes it up.

When you get to town purchase a map of the lake, most baitstores have them. This will allow you to know where a location is that is doing well from a printed report on a report on the marine radio. I hope you have a marine radio, even if it's just a handheld. The sfety of you and your family is worth a lot more than a couple hundred dollars. especially since you've not captained a boat on Erie before. Erie is a special lake that humble the best captain very quickly.

Keep coming with the questions we'll help you all we can.

good luck,
Kim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey---thanks for the reply! A couple questions.....
I'm planning on reserving a couple rooms at the Pleasantveiw Cottages. Was wondering if thats a good idea to stay on the island?? Want to check out Cedar Point, maybe N.Michigan for couple shrooms too. Advice?

·
Registered
216 Posts
you might want to stay on the mainland if you are planning on visiting the other places you mentioned........Port Clinton area has lots of choices, & you can take the ferry over to Kellys if you want to visit. Not a whole lot going on over there yet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it better to make reservations somewhere before we come? Or will I be able to find someplace when I get there? Looking for something cheap....weekly rate.....with 2 sleeping areas if possible. I'm bringing a snorer along!!!!!!

·
Perch Addict
892 Posts
Go to Hiwaybait first, on 163, that guy will fill you in before you hit Kelleys .....................You say you are staying there.........That means you are gonna ferry over to Kelleys? If you do say Hi to my Aunt Marsha at the Tollgate........real nice gal.

Good luck fishin ! !

Scott

·
Banned
518 Posts
Go to Google and look up Port Clinton Lodging. If you got time have the Port Clinton chamber of commerce send you a packet. All you need to know about lodging and area attractions. Bring big watermellon/green tubes and thats all you need for smallies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. Now we're rethinking this and I'm gonna call Hiway Bait/Lodging tomorrow. Seems like that'd be a good place to stay and a great place for bait and reports. :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think that Kelley's is a great option especially if you have a smaller boat. Someone mentioned that there is not whole lot going on Kelley's yet which is probably true, but in my opinion less people = more relaxation. I have stayed at pleasentview before and the place is nice. Not modern but very clean. They also have a docking area that is well protected. I think that the owners name is Joe if I remember right. He is a nice guy. You do not have to make much of a run and you will be in some very fishable water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts