Ohio Game Fishing banner

keeping minnows alive

1K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  donk18 
#1 ·
how do you do it? i can only seem to keep them alive in my bucket and hour or so before they start dieing off. whats to trick?

#4 ·
Never really tried the ice trick but the aerator works wonders. Mine usual last all day with the aerator and a simple change of water every now and then.

#5 ·
Both replys before this got it right. Oxygen is the key. The colder the water the higher the oxygen level. Same goes with an airator...it flushes oxygen through the water. Also, if you bring them home, don't add straight tap water to the bucket. The chlorine (though small amounts) in the tap water used to help clean the water for us to drink kills the minnows.

#9 ·
its just a plastic minnow bucket. i threw a 20oz bottle in the freezer so i can throw it in the bucket and see if that helps. and will change out the water so often. should i let them sit in the lake while i have my line in the water.

#10 ·
yea, I will second that. Ice works really well and the aerator works as well. They botrh work great as a combo to keep them lively.
we would keep them in a styrophome bucket that lets the water breath??....well it works and keep them for days in the refrigerator...you will loose a few that need to be taken out...the ice is the trick and fresh water out in the boat or over the side in the water till it warms up to much

#15 ·
Some great answers. I keep my galvenized bucket in shallow water if fishing from shore so i will not use ice till i get home. Another reason for changing the water with the river or lake water is not only for oxygen but to rid the bucket of fish waste that kills them much earlier than fresh water as mentioned earlier. Usually they keep fine for days in the shade until summer temps arive.

#17 ·
I keep em on the basement floor in 20 gal fishtank with an air pump conected to a sponge filter. I can keep emerald shiners that way almost 2 weeks during spring and fall. Watch the clorine and your good - basement floor is cool. Minnows you catch yourself last the best - if bought they may be a week or more old already. When I was younger I never bought bait.

#18 ·
Alive Minnows The best thing you can do is step up to the plate and purchase a starefoam minnow bucket with areator.You will never need anything else to keep them alive even setting in the sun all day ,i have been useing these for years. Big bubbles,is one that i have around $40.00 the best money you will ever spend to keep them alive. Tight Lines Fishguy

#19 ·
well i am happy to say i bought 4 dozen minnows today at about 7pm and used ice and they are still swimming and happy now at 1am so i would have to say the ice works. got them in the frig now and they are swimming fools. so now i can take my son out tomorrow morning without having to buy more. thanks guys. buy the way caught 2 crappies and one 13in white bass at howard rd today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.