close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Keeping minnows alive and happy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RWBlue, May 27, 2005.

1. What do you guys do to keep your minnows alive and happy?

I had a few die on me the other day.

I am thinking I need to put the bucket over the side of the canoe?

Thanks

2. Freeze ice in plastic pop bottles. set one in before you head out. Or just add ice cubes. I think cubes will help release o2 when they melt. Glenn

3. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

Make sure you change the water often...We can keep minnows alive at home for up to two weeks by using a air hose and a pump from an aquarium. :p

4. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

instead of minnow bucket use a small fliptop cooler. toss in a 20oz frozen pop bottle, and try to keep the lid shut when while your fishing. you should notice if you purchased healthy minnows that they will stay balled together, once you see them starting to seperate and swimming around by themselves means there starting to die.

sowbelly

5. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Pick ya up a small battery operated pump, put a bubbler on it and just add either ice or frozen pop bottle. As soon as you notice any that bite the dust, pull them out and toss them. Also as mentioned before you want them in a bucket you can cover. I picked up a insulated bucket with the pump built in pretty cheap and is well worth the bait that does not die on you.

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Go with the pump for sure! They are worth their weight in gold. My portable frabill runs on two D cells, and will last an entire weekend running 24/7. They run around 10-15$

7. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have good luck with the minnowmiser. It is not your typical aerator in that it does not blow bubbles into the minnow bucket. The problem with blowing air into the minnow bucket is that the air is usually warm and warm is not what you want since there is less oxygen in warm water than cold. The minnowmiser runs off of a 6v battery or you can buy the adapter to plug into the wall. It works by spinning a disk inside the unit. The disk then sprays a mist that is full of oxygen out into the minnow bucket. This mist is colder than bubbles so it works for the same reason that the previous threads stated. I have never had a minnow, chub, goldfish etc die on me while using it. You can find them at BassPro and other sporting goods stores They cost about $20 and pay for themselves real quick. If i float the creek I will hang the minnow bucket over the side of the canoe, but for transport you cant beat it. BBY

8. I USUALLY FEED MINE BUD LITE :D ..THAT KEEPS EM HAPPY ALL DAY :p

9. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

If you would have said "Bud-Ice Light" I would have agreed :D

10. hanging them over the side helped.

No dead minnows today.