close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

keeping mice out of a boat???

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by jeffmo, Dec 22, 2004.

1. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i'm kind of worried about mice getting into my boat over the winter time and chewing up the wiring,etc. does anyone have any good methods to keep them out? i've heard that mothballs work and i read somewhere that fabric softener sheets will work too. :confused:
    but,since i gotta uncover the boat to get a battery out of it i figured i might as well try something.
    thanks!

2. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

mothballs work for me. never tried the fabric sheets.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

hey jeff.if you find a solution quick,let me know.last spring when i picked my boat up at toad's house,i found that his pet mice had destroyed half the wiring in my boat :eek:
    maybe toad was right when he said i should have put the cover on,cause i never had that problem when i did :rolleyes: ;)
    but i still think he put a big chunk of cheese in my boat though :D ;)

4. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

well,i'm gonna give the mothballs a try.we have so many cats out here i really can't see how there can be any mice around anymore.
    hey rick,if the cats work i'll drop off several to you!

5. "J"

"J"

I read some where that you can get either peppermint or spearmint from the pharmacy and put it on cardboard under the cover of the boat and it will keep the varmits out, something about them not being able to handle the smell. Plus makes the boat smell good when you get it out of storage. "J"

6. I'd be willing to try anything - last year they chewed through my cover in several places, made 2 nests inside the boat, and left their droppings all over the place. Between the boat and the little pop-up camper I think they had a mouse mansion for the winter :(

7. I have never found anything foolproof but the best thing that I have found so far is the moth balls. I spread them very liberally throughout the boat. I also used them in my camper but had less success there. I believe it was because the camper was more in compartments and was hard to cover all of the air pockets. I used to have quite a problem with them getting into the shroud over the engine on my lawn mower and building a nest on top of the engine. It was so bad that every time I wanted to use the mower I had to pull the cover off the flywheel and clean it all out. What I did was take an old pair of my wife's panty hose and filled one leg of the hose with moth balls and lay it over the engine every time I parked the mower between uses. Since doing this I have not had the problem again and that was a couple or three years ago.

8. Thanks bkr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have that very same problem with my riding mower. My shed is out back in the woods and I tried many things, but nothing had worked.

It sure gets nasty watching those mice chunks fly and stomping the wounded after turning the key. :D

9. Yeah, that is nasty enough but what really burned me was when they had decided to chew a hole in one of my plug wires and kill the fire on one cylinder.:mad:

10. You can always toss a ***** cat into the boat and cover it. The cat should get hungry and eat any mice that come in. :cool: Just remember to check and see if the cat has been catching mice and if not, feed it a little bit of food a couple times a week. :rolleyes: If you have an over weight cat this technique will serve a dual purpose of eliminating mice and thinning down the cat. :p Our cat got so thin last year that it must have squirmed out of its fur and escaped cause all I found in the spring was a lumpy pile of cat fur.
    Never did see that cat again. :confused:

11. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Spearmint Oil !! Yes, spearmint oil, the kind candy makers use and often sold in pharmacies or by confectioner supply stores. This is an old farm trick to keep mice out of harvest machinery at the end of the season when it is covered with grain. Works well so far have never had a mouse in the boat, plus it gives the boat a clean fresh smell, as I know that Skipjack have one of the worst smells on this earth and it gets worse if they are left on carpet, I have also used it in the livewell when I forgot about some Shad that were in there during a trip Oh Boy..........Doc