close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Keeping a few

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tvfisherman, May 14, 2004.

1. Wednsday I fished Delaware for a few hour and caught a mess of crappies. Most where small and tossed back but I did manage to find 12 that where 9" or bigger (most where 10"-11"). Since there is not bag limit on the number of crappie one can take I felt 12 was a reasonalbe number and stopped fishing around that point. I took what I caught home, cleaned em, and the wife and I had a nice dinner. But on my way back to the car someone (who had fishing poles in hand) stopped me and said "Thanks for leaving some for the rest of us." Thinking he was joking I replied "Should make a good dinner." To which he responded "Haven't you ever heard of catch and release? If everyone walks away with that the lake will be dead." I'm sorry to say I had no response. I was dumbfounded that anyone could really say that about 12 fish. I really don't feel that what I did was wrong. I took what we would eat and no more. Even if I had taken more for the freezer would there have been that great of harm? I believe whole heartedly in catch and release when I don't plan on eating fish but when did it become a sin to take a few home? Sorry to vent my frustrations here, just curious what some others thought.

2. You did nothing wrong, that guy was a jerk.

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Keeping only a dozen Crappies sounds more than reasonable to me.
    You did nothing wrong.

4. Keeping a Few fish ---there is nothing wrong with that, that guy had an problem and i would not worry about that guy one second longer....12 fish isnt bad, in fact i plan on keeping a few this afternoon, and i dont feel a bit guilty about it. I pay for my license yr after yr.........eye

5. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Ignorant people are everywhere. Crappies are like rabbits for cryin' out loud! He was probably jealous cause he can't catch a keeper. What a moron. Keep all you want!

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Glad you had a nice dinner :) The other guy was probably just upset because he can't catch fish :D I'm glad you set a limit on the quantity of fish you were going to keep. That's a good habit to get into. :)

7. Selective Harvest is just as improtant as Catch and Release. You did nothing wrong.
    I do put up a certain amount to feed my family once a week during lent and in no way feel bad about it.
    Yes, I release alot also in the Crappie area, but I do have strong beliefs that selective harvest is needed for a healty population.
    Sounded like a good meal.
    JimG

8. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Thumbs up to Jim G :D

9. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Don’t let it bug ya! He probable didn’t catch anything and he is a little jealous. Just like a lot of people he feels he must blame someone. That someone was you since you had caught a few. Don’t let it get you down. Some people are just miserable. 12 fish is actually a small number for crappie and if it was such a huge sin to keep the fish the ODNR would put restrictions saying YOU CANT KEEP THE FISH! ! !

Jimg is exactly right about selective harvest it is an absolute must with most species of fish to keep the fishery healthy.

10. If it was so detrimental to the health of the population, odnr would put limits on crappie just like they do for other sport fish. But since they reproduce like rabbits, they dont need to.

11. Sounds like you guys had a good meal there! Don't let that other guy get you down. Like others have said here, selective harvest HELPS a fishery.

I'm glad that guy wasn't at West Branch last Saturday. He would have been heartbroken. :eek:

We only kept about half of what we caught though. ;)

Carl

12. catking

catking Banned

Some of these guys are out of line. If EVERYBODY released their fish, it might actually do worst than good. Don't let people like that get you down. For everyone of them, there are a hundred of us that say fry them pan fish up!!!!!!!!!!!! CATKING

13. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

That guy is full of crap. I keep crappie, walleye, and saugeye to eat. I take about 60 crappie a year, and all the walleye I can get. And I usually keep saugeye over 18". I usually relesase female crappies full of eggs though.
    I know people who take baskets full of about 50 crappie out of there daily during the spawn. People on Norton's Bait Shop wall on the Polaroids can confirm this.
    I'm all for eating fish- as long as it's not a smallie or bucketmouth- fry it up. My opinion, when it's crappie- take as many as you want, they are not going to fade.

14. 12 crappies isn't excessive -- 250 white bass (see the previous thread) is.

15. I agree with everyone else, you did nothing wrong. It's nice to keep some eating size fish every once in a while for the dinner table! The other guy must have been having a bad day!

16. Thanks all for helping to reassure me that I'm not a schmuk. I know I shouldn't have let that guy bother me but he just got under my skin and festered over the last day and half. Alls I have to say to that guy is that that was about the best dinner I've had all year. Before we ate we said grace and gave thanks and I know that I didn't do anything wrong. Thanks again guys.

17. Nice catch you schmuk :D Just kidding. Nothing better than fresh fried fish, unless you got some nice big morels to go with them.

18. Next time take more! Think of all the bass fry those crappies eat :eek: :D

19. Jethro said it best! :D I never thought of it that way before...next time, I will keep more for just that reason. :) Going to Atwood tomorrow morning. I agree with everyone else so I won't beat a dead horse, although you should have said "Well, seeing as how it doesn't look like you caught any, let's just say we caught six each between the two of us and you don't like fish. Umm Umm." :D ;)

20. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

for punishment, that guy should have to sit and watch some "foreigners" fishing and keeping anything they catch. that includes the 3 to 5" crappies! :mad: